CairnTalk

Destructive chewing -

Tracy A.

My little Gremlins have been on kick lately. Metal obsession-----

I have lost 3 pairs of jeans in the last 2 weeks.... the rivet waist closure being completely chewed off and nothing but a hole left behind......

So i've gotten more careful, making sure they can't drag something down out from the top of the washer/laundry basket.....

I have now gone through 3 harness' in 3 weeks.... Two of those the last 24 hours.............. :(

Does anyone know of a harness that has no plastic on it??(All Metal buckles?) I need two in a bad way.... I am feeling like I might enjoy just setting fire to money instead..

I had said to Hubby last night, that I would take the Hanress' off after we got in from now on..... This morning, as i'm taking my coat off- I hear the sound of destruction.... you know the sound... plastic being broken..... and before my eyes little Gremlin Brattwurst with his harness off, and the main closure in 3 pieces already..... elapse time 30 seconds.......

And I swear at that very moment I saw little horns on his head...... :twisted:

:offtopic: I have a bunch of Eukanuba coupons that expire June 2006, PM me if you'd like some. I just switch to feeding Canidae.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

We've gone thru 2 harnesses in about a month. I can't bring myself to buy another nylon webbed one as Finnegan thinks they are his portable chew toy. I did order the "puppia" harness that someone had a link to earlier in the week. We'll see how that works - maybe I should have thrown the $22 down the toilet - there's always hope.

Finnegan's Mum

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. - Mark Twain

Well, I guess I should just buy some stock in a harness company. I have sucker writen all over me.... Yes, stoped at Walmart on the way home and bought 2 more hanresses.... My husband has suggested this leather & metal studed deal that we saw at the flea market..... Puppy S&M Harness if you will.....

I just don't know.....

Mia sometimes chews inappropriate items (in fact I am looking at a chewed pen carcass as I type this). Whenever she does this, I take the item away and give her something she can chew, like a bully stick. I'm sure you have a lot of soft toys around, but it seems like they might want something with some resistance!

Hi Brody's Mom:

Thank you for the suggestion.... we are deep in Raw Hides .... all over the house....

and nylabones..........

Maybe they need puppy boot camp

I feel your pain. Loss to date: 3 pairs shoes, one corner of armoire door, several doorstop caps, paper-too much to count, pillows, many less durable dog toys...the list goes on. Oh, the biggie: one leather jacket left by an unsuspecting SuperBowl fan. I should tally up my spendings on bully sticks. I am sure it is alarming.

Maybe it is just a phase that they are going through and they will get over it soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I am glad to hear that other people have trouble with the chewing!!It seems that at the very minute I stop giving my puppy attention, she is finding a shoe or a purse or my keys or my cell phone or ANYTHING she can get and running by me to catch my attention while I proceed to chase her around with cheese to get her to finally stop. She is so sneaky. I've tried telling peopel when they come to my house not to leave stuff on teh floor, etc...but I wish i could take my shoes off without worrying whether my new shoes will be her new chew toy! :confused:

we also have LOTs of rawhides, kongs, etc. and when we are petting her, or in the room she is good as an angel...but once we go about our business or i swear she knows i am leaving and she turns into the little devil :devil: she probably doesn't really "know" but it sure seems taht way sometimes!!

luckily she has not chewed up her harness...but she does enjoy leashes...ahh well keeps me entertained and obedience training part 2 starts next week! :D wish us luck!!

Liz (Fiona's Mommy)

:mad: 2/16 Morning Fatality Update :mad:

Discovery of destroyed dog house pad in dog run. Bits of foam everywhere....

Saw van yesterday, for a dog training facility- claiming they could train any problem dog...... evil thoughts of puppy boot camp dancing in my head.

I don't exactly know what you mean by puppy boot camp, but I don't you should feel "evil" for thinking about calling them. More training never hurts.

LOL All I can picture is Mett and Bratt at boot camp with their combat gear on.

I guess I should consider myself lucky. We haven't had any problems with chewing since Savannah stopped teething ***knocking on wood***

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Sophie is good about chewing, probably the benefit of an adult dog. But she would chew off her harness in a heart beat if she could. ( I catch her every day with the 'chest' part in her mouth) and she has a thing about the strap of my purse...and will shred a klennex in a heart beat.

I use these little chewie sticks that she typically carries in her mouth like a cigar. They keep her jaws busy and have helped her teeth a lot.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

We have been lucky so far with no chewed-up harnesses - we usually take the harness off as soon as we come in the house, then hang the harness and leash from a door knob where even our high jumping pup cannot reach it. Perhaps try taking the harnesses off ASAP when you get in from a walk.

Good luck - our pup destroys all toys he comes in contact with, but keeping fingers crossed he wont chew our shoes or clothes. :)

We take our harnesses off as soon as we come back from our walks too. I don't know how they would chew on them when they are on because they fit so close to their body. :huh:

Scout was an agressive chewer when she was younger......we lost shoes, purse straps, and numerous other items. Finch (knock on wood) has never been a chewer...whew!

Hubby just called from home.

Brattwurst just destroyed another harness...

Hubby got distracted by phone call as he brought the dogs in, and the few mins he was on the phone is all it took.

I think I need a steel Harness!

Guest posting as: LizzieP

Just thought I'd let you all know - the Puppia Harness has worked great for the last few days - it fits in such a way that Finn can't get his lower jaw around the front of the harness and there's no plastic for him to chew on. Finnegan also looks very handsome - very sporty. I'll let you know if he's figured out a way to chew on the dang thing, but so far so good.

:offtopic:

Lizzie P,

what size did you order in the Puppia Harness.....I am thinking about getting a couple

for my little munchkins.

thanks

ellie

Mystic, My pup is a little older than your two (he just turned 10 months old). I was thinking two things: 1) exercise the heck out of them (although I'm sure they get plenty from each other) and 2) bitter apple spray for a while on everything they like to chew that's not appropriate. I have often threatened my pup before with a "full removal of all teeth and dentures inserted only for mealtime purposes" but he just grins his devilish smile at me and trots off :devil: Good luck!!

Ellie: I bought the medium size. Finnegan weighs about 16-17 lbs and it fits very well. The harness was here in just a few days and I've been very pleased - still no chewing!! Yeah!

Finnegan's Mum

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. - Mark Twain

Archived