CairnTalk

Puppia Harness

hallswel

uh-oh.... those DO look comfortable... hmmmm :)

Can't wait to hear what people have to say about them.... I've got to resist temptation just to wipe out the ol' Visa.....

ain't spoilin' great?

Proud Mama of Zephyr and Cleo--adopted into the family Feb. 2005 from the local SPCA.

picture

How can I resist? I want a pink one for maddy.....we are on a credit

card freeze right now....but maybe hub will make an exception!

Ellie

LOL...I thought it was a typo when I saw the topic. I thought it was supposed to be about "puppy" harnesses. Geez, I'd better get some caffeine.

I'm loving those colors too and it looks dopey-proof that even I could put it on.

Hey Liz, maybe you can be like our roving reporter and go up to the dog's owner and ask how they like them. ;)

• 1 year later...

This is a really old post but I am wondering if any more people have tried puppia harness. I have a few questions about them.

How true are they to size?

How do the dogs do with the harness?

I would love to buy one for each of my dogs but can't decide what size to get. If I go by size of neck and chest it shows a different size than if I go by weight.

Also, do you like the harness? Anything?

Thanks in advance!!

Those are really cute! Right now we're using the "Gentle Leader, Easy Walk" harnesses on Bailey & Sophie. They are the harnesses that you attach the leash in the front of the chest, not on top of the back. They have really reduced the amount of pulling that both dogs did when we used their collars for walks. Maybe after they have gotten REALLY good with these harnesses, we can "Buya Puppia". :P

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Those are really cute! Right now we're using the "Gentle Leader, Easy Walk" harnesses on Bailey & Sophie. They are the harnesses that you attach the leash in the front of the chest, not on top of the back. They have really reduced the amount of pulling that both dogs did when we used their collars for walks. Maybe after they have gotten REALLY good with these harnesses, we can "Buya Puppia". :P

Thats a point i was gonna make, till i read yours. The harnesses teach your dog to pull, just like huskies and sleds. The front ones are much better. They also have those special leashes that go around the dogs muzzle, but they can still open their mouth. Much better if you dont like your dog tugging at the lead all the time. pretty tempted to spen the 30 and get one sometime:(

I purchased these harnesses for 2 of my girls. They are fine for controlling the dogs on walks. Plenty sturdy, but in the heat of summer I didn't like them as the dogs seem to get hotter in them rather than a regular harness. (Also the colors aren't quite so pretty any more after they've gone in the lake 3 or 4 times).

abbyrose17lk.gifAbby Rose

I have been looking at purchasing these for the girls, but having trouble finding a shop that sells them here (I'm trying to avoid buying them over the internet cos the postage is so pricey).

But on reading that Kandya says her girls get hot in them maybe they wouldn't be suitable here, I guess I'd better rethink the whole idea.

ctdogs.jpg

I ordered a pair for our pair (of dogs) so I'll let you know how they work.

This site: http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/store...ataloglist.html

has free shipping and an exchange policy

I will let you know when our harnesses show up and the condition they are in. Hopefully we don't have to try out their exchange policy.

We'll probably switch them to their other harnesses when they play in the pond and I'll be sure to check on how warm they get.

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

Not sure what everyone is going for when looking for a harness but I found a great harness. Scooter and I hike a lot so I was looking for something that would be comfy for him because a regular harness chaffed under his arm pits.

This one is great and REALLY sturdy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OBFM26

Hiking004.jpg

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

That one looks great! It would be wonderful for the dog who has the chaffing problem.

The puppia isn't a step in harness. You put it over the head and then it snaps. I got a small for Dixie and a medium for Scruffy. I'll let you know how they fit when they get here. At least it's only $7 if I got the size wrong!

I like the puppia ones but Scooter had the chaffing problem because we hike an average of 10-15 miles every weekend. Longest was 19 miles. I wanted something he would be comfortable in but not hot and I wanted something that was heavy duty. When we hike it is not just flat, its up mountains, so lots of rocks and LOTS of climbing. Also I wanted something that I could pick him up with.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I have a puppia, looks nice and comfy, but i wouldnt recommend it. maggie can slip out of it in a few seconds, it will hold a dog that pulls, but if the dog rolls or pulls backwards it will slip off! and the one i have is the right size... instead i use a plain cheapo nylon one (cant remember the name off hand) where the metal hoops cover over the plastic snap (vs. the one with the snap on the side-which can break easy)... i have no problems with it and she has never slipped out of it... it isnt padded like others, but i have had no skin/hair issues... it isnt on her all that long each day...

a

Well they showed up in the mail today and Scruffy's is a perfect fit!

But... instead of sending me a small purple for Dixie they sent an extra small. She's a little dog but not near that small!

I emailed them and am hoping that they are going to take care of shipping charges since it is their mistake (it says small on the invoice). I'll let you know how that goes.

And Scruffy doesn't seem to mind this one. I'm hoping it stays that way!

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow but it'll be a busy day!

CathyAnn-

I ordered the small, the link on Amazon is the one I bought, I bought it on Amazon. I love it! Works great for hiking, long periods of time with harness on and rough terrain...

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Aubreyea, you must be on the yahoo cairn group too! Or is it dogster? LOL Keep us informed what goes on with them! I guess I should get a puppy sized one for Toby? I just really would like one for the classes and for learning to walk etc. which he will take in April when hes about 4.5 months. Do you think? And really so what if you have to spend another $40 in 4 months? I might be able to sell his puppy one when he out grows it!

Thistle,

That Buddy Belt looks extremely cool but looks like it would chaffe but I really like the design of it. Not sure if it would work for my long hikes but maybe for little trips here and there...

DSCN2419-1.jpg

So far Scruffy still likes his.

The company has agreed to send me a label so they are paying shipping but it's now Thursday and I haven't received it yet. I was hoping to have hers this week but it looks like I'll be waiting. They have been nice and were really quick about shipping the harness so I might need to email them and encourage them.

I am on the yahoo group so that's probably where I talked about them! :)

I'll work on pictures but it could be awhile before I get any of Dixie.

Jessica, I haven't had any problems with Thistle chafing and she wears her a lot and is very active but I know that they do sell sleeves that line the leg openings. She comes on horse rides with me and it allows her to hike along beside my horse or hang onto her when she rides on the saddle with me. I like that it sits really low on the chest.

Archived