CairnTalk

Cairn Rescue Groups/Vet

Milopup

As I have posted before I am searching for a new vet for my pup. I found one and when I asked them if they are familiar with cairn terriers responded "Yes we actually work with the local cairn rescue group." Now I assume that if this is the case, they would be great since they know cairns, and obviously care enough about them to help with the rescues.

Am I being naive, or is this a good indication that they would be good vets for cairns?

Just a thought here and I don't know if it would work (never tried myself) Could you ask for references or at least contact the rescue group to get their opinion of the vet? Personally I would tend to lean toward the vet that works with the rescue but an experienced opinion would definitely be helpful.

In my mind a vet who works with rescues may be liked to a dentist who works with the indigent.

While some of these dentists are self-sacrificing, others may be too incompetent for private practice.

I ran into an "incompetent" this past June and we had a horrendous experience.

As Abe's Dad said, look for references!

Alas I cannot find any references. :( I am a bit worried because I am not in the US now and am flying back just to take Bosco to the appointment. And I dont know how to ask for references, since the same woman/receptionist keeps answering.

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.iloveyourpet.com/

What do y'all think?

Hey, Little Neck Parkway! I used to live between Horace Harding Blvd and Union Turnpike.

That website seems relatively new. It's really hard to find a doctor when you're out of the area. And even when you're in the area.

We went to a veterinary practice when we first got Wes and we liked the doctor. But after a while he left and we got a replacement.

A great doctor on the other side of town was recommended to us by the feed store, so we made an appointment.

Whereas Wes loved the people in the other practice, this new one gave him the creeps. The other clients gave us the creeps too, but at least Wes would be seeing the town's best vet.

But the receptionist apologized. "The doctor had to go out on emergency. Would you mind seeing his assistant?"

Well, the assistant was an inexperienced kid and none of us were thrilled.

So we went back to the original practice where Wes loves the staff. The vet isn't as great as the one who retired, but he's okay.

I think reference check is the key - and if not possible, perhaps look at this first visit as a "trial" and once with the vet ask him/her if they can provide the references. Our vet has been in practice for many years and hired a younger out of vet school partner. Both are good - although the more experienced seems to take his time, more informative and detail oriented style. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Hi Milopup,

During the first visit maybe you can ask the people in the waiting room what their opinion is and if this is the only vet that they've tried. Let's just hope that some will be more honest than the others.

Anna

If I understood your post, you're out of the country right now, so it's not practical for you to search or get references for a Vet. In this case, I agree with Lesly, who said to keep Bosco's appointment and consider the visit to be a "trial".

Under normal circumstances, I've found that when I walk my dog, I invariably encounter other owners who are helpful in recommending their Vets. This holds true, even more so, at the dog run, if there's one near you. Should you encounter other terrier owners, or better yet, Cairn owners in your area, you might approach them for a referral.

Hopefully, things will work out with your new Vet and all will go well for you &

Bosco.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks everyone for your advice - the vet which we went to last year seems competent, but I just didn't "feel the love". Silly, eh?

We will give this one a try - a good thing is that the younger vet in the practice, who we have the appointment with, seems to have a radio spot (means nothing, but hey, its at least a little recognition of her talent I hope), and also both the vets at the practice graduated from Cornell University Veterinary School, which I know is one of the best. Will give it a try and see how it all works out. :)

One question - what time of day do you take your pup to the vet? Does it matter if it is the last appointment of the day? Any cons to that?

Thanks everyone again - it is hard not being with Bosco everyday, but he is happier living where he gets the love and attention of my folks, and a larger play space. I call every day just to keep in touch with him (I know, silly, but he is my baby), and my parents love him like you wouldnt believe. He loves his grandma and grandpa as well, and I would be selfish to make him take a 24-hour plane ride in cargo just so I could see him everyday. But it is really hard sometimes, and I really appreciate everyone's advice and support. :(

To me a good vet won't change his or her 'performance level' at anytime of the day. When Alfie got bitten by an Akita, I called our vet during his off hours and he was willing to open his clinic and wait. The most important thing is he also spoke to me on the phone. The vet we had before him had layers of receptionists and assistants who gave me their advice before I got to speak to the vet. I hated that (off topic- most doctor's offices operate that way nowadays and it is really one of my pet peeves; I almost always have to say I am also a doctor so can I please speak directly to the doctor.... -_- ).

Anyway....Milopup, a lot of it is gut feeling and I would have to say go with your gut feeling after your first visit. You need that comfort level with or without references, in my opinion.

Milopup, when we first got Kai-lee someone told us to go to vet a that was member of AAHA {American Animal Hospital Association } The vet we chose happened to be a member and I have been extremely pleased by the doctors, staff, facilities etc, we were given a tour of all of their facilities, the place is immaculate the people are loving not just to the pets but also us humans! AAHA I believe requires standards to be met. I can't recommend someone in your area but look at the AAHA website and see what you think I've attached a link to their lookup a vet page, if all their members are like ours I think you will be pleased!

http://www.healthypet.com

Kai-lee's appts have all been late in the day and I feel the level of care and attention we received could not have been better.

I hope you are happy with who you choose, I know how important peace of mind is especially with you being gone so much of the time.

Good luck!

Maggie

PS Kai-lee actually loves going to the vet...she acts like an absolute fool she gets so excited!

Hi Milo:

Sometimes it can take a few tries to find a vet you really like. I'm going to assume that this is just the yearly shot/checkup visit? nothing major?

If that's the case, see if you like her..... and move on if you don't.

I found my Vet by asking a Cairn Breeder in the area.

Tracy, Bratt & Mett

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Milopup.....OT here,  but may I ask.....where the heck are you???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I didn't want to ask but I am dying to know too!

For the past 5 1/2 years, I've been president of my own cairn rescue organization, and I've spent a year each as president of two other cairn rescue organizations. In my experience, vets that will work with rescue tend to be a cut above the rest. They usually give a rescue discount and will even comp certain things, so this is definitely not a money-making endeavor for them, they do it because they care about the animals. And speaking for myself, I want the rescue dogs in my program to go to a vet that's just as competent as the vets my own dogs go to, so at least in my experience, the analogy about dentists who work with the indigent doesn't apply here.

In terms of the particular vet you're referring to, I couldn't get the link to work, but if it's Animal Medicine and Surgery on Little Neck Pkwy, I believe Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network uses them. They boarded a dog for us (the Cairn Rescue League) for a couple of days once, and they seemed to take good care of him and to have taken a personal interest in him. As I said, he was just boarded and not vetted, so I didn't see anything beyond the lobby and there were no medical issues to discuss with the vets, but what I did see seemed fine.

Hi,

Yup, it is Animal Medicine and Surgery of Little Neck - hmm, the receptionist/assistant who answered the phone said they work with the local cairn rescue, so I thought it meant actual vet services. But yes that is the place, so hope that they are good, and most importantly love cairns :). The drive wont be too too bad, and our pup loves to ride in the car. :)

BTW - it is NOT listed on the AAHA search at the Healthypet.com site - is that a problem, and does it indicate there is something not right about the place???

I am in Asia - I moved here a few months ago. I feel truly guilty that I am not with my pup everyday, but I feel it is better for me to sacrifice being with him daily than to subject him to the 24-hour cargo section ride and lack of play area, since my apartment is not very big. He really has a better quality of life with my parents, and I visit him as often as I can, and call daily as well. Please dont think I am a selfish cairn mommy :( - I truly love him tremendously and try to do what is best for him.

You can tell alot by boarding.

The vet I had trouble with in Florida had alot of people lined up complaining about their dogs got while boarded, and demanding free treatment.

Milopup....just by all your questioning posts and dedicated concern for your Cairn, a selfish mommy would be the last thing I would think of you. Love can travel through mountains and over the seas...(wow, am I being poetic or what?) -_-

I think you care more about your Cairn than you probably do yourself.

On the subject of the new vet, I think you should follow your instincts, check them out if you can and then follow your heart.

My vet isn't on that list but I feel very comfortable with him.

Guest posting as: Sanford

One question - what time of day do you take your pup to the vet? Does it matter if it is the last appointment of the day? Any cons to that?

I would ask the Vet, receptionist or one of the staff, what time of day is best for them. I've done this with my Vet as well as my own MD and they've always appreciated my asking.

There's a woman on Long Island who works with both the Cairn Rescue League and Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network, so when the receptionist said they work with the local cairn rescue, she's probably thinking of this woman as being a local cairn rescue person. We've only boarded the one dog there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Col. Potter has used them for actual veterinary services.

Is Milo's visit just routine? Hope so!

Archived