CairnTalk

Doggy Smells

Milopup

We have an older carpet and have noticed that it gets a bit of a doggy smell sometimes. Short of replacing it (we were going to but dont think the chemicals from a new carpet will be good for our pup) any suggestions for what would work without harming our pup?

Also, do the chemicals from a new carpet harm pups? We are holding off replacing it for only this reason. As you can see, we make most decisions (heck all decisions) in the house based around one thing - Bosco's health and happiness! :whistle::)

You could look into wool carpet or natural fiber carpet. I have environmental allergy issues and have looked into flooring options. Marmoleum is an option and easier to keep clean than carpet and it can be absolutely gorgeous. All these flooring options can be expensive, but I think they're worth it.

I have a carpet cleaner that I bought for under 80.00. It's the Bissell quick steamer. I clean the carpets about once every two months or sometimes more often. I have allergies to dust, and the previous owners of our home thought only white/off white were the colors that carpet came in :shock:

It pretty much takes care of any smell or stains.

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Our local Shoprite rents out carpet steamers for around $20. Bissell carpet cleaners are pet safe, according to their label, which you can buy separately.

Hey, who said they only clean carpet once every couple of months or so :lol: People here only thought carpet came in white/beige too, and no matter how hard I try, the carpet gets cleaned every couple of weeks. I am surprised there is any fiber left in it. They look :halo: clean, but evidently, not as clean as I think. I used to think it was my son, but he doesn't live here anymore :lol: So there are only two culprits left :whistle:

So is it better to steam the carpets ourselves (we have a steamer somewhere) versus getting all new carpeting? We are just worried that the chemicals of the new carpet will be harmful. :(

So is it better to steam the carpets ourselves (we have a steamer somewhere) versus getting all new carpeting?  We are just worried that the chemicals of the new carpet will be harmful. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Milo:

Try giving it a good cleaning and see what happens.... Just make sure that the cleaning solution you use is non-toxic and pet safe.

It's easier to try to clean the carpet first, then remove everything from the room for new carpet installation :thumbsup:

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I found a product that really eliminates odor. You might try it after shampooing the carpet. Its called Zero Odor. I also tried Nature's Miracle, and I think this works better. (I hope mentioning product names is not against the rules!)

I have a Bissel carpet cleaner and that thing is a life saver for dealing with accidents and upchucks!

Milo....there are chemicals in just about everything. If you want or need to replace the carpet, I'd just do it. I am sure the carpet dealers can steer you in the right direction for enviromentally safe products.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

We had carpet - but have got rid of it and now have floating floorboards..

However in relation to doggy smell we used to get it a fair bit.......this is what you can do...

Fresh Air

Oil Burners

Glen 20 - a fantastic spray to get rid of odours - not sure if you have it over there

Vacum the carpet and use a carpet deodoriser that you sprinkle over before you vacum.

Those are my tips hope that they help :D

Thanks for all the suggestions.:) The odors arent that bad now since it is cold, but during the warmer days the humidity causes a bit of a puppy odor. :( We are just trying to decide between doing a thorough cleaning or getting a new carpet.

BTW - what are floating floorboards?

We've been gradually converting all the flooring in our home to hardwood or tile. So much easier to clean up pet messes. (we have two cats as well as Fergus) There is still carpet in the bedrooms but it too, will go someday.

Fergus :P & Alf

perky100.jpg

I use a spray bottle with vinegar and water to get out pee odor. It is the best thing to use for smells. I have known people who smoke that use it in their cars and you would never know they smoked in there. Believe me, I have the keenest sense of smell.

Also, I spend too much time watching those home improvement shows, floating footboards are those wood floors where you dont glue them down or anything so in the change of temp, if they swell or shrink, they are ok. At least that is what i think they are.

I would try to clean the carpet first...but not for Bosco's health.....for your purse's health! LOL! If you can't get the smell out, then you can replace.

We have hardwood floors downstairs and carpet in the bedrooms upstairs. I think all carpet is safe for humans and animals, at least I'm counting on mine being safe!

Actually the carpet doesnt smell bad - when it is cold and dry there is not smell. There is just a bit of doggy smell when it is humid - these doggy smells are not from "accidents" but just from him being a dog. Not sure if that makes any sense....:(

Yep, makes sense, Milo.

Unfortunately, once 'that' smell gets in your carpet, it is usually there to stay. :confused: Wetting it, by cleaning, can actually make it worse sometimes.

We had some friends that tried every carpet cleaning method available and ultimately ended up replacing the carpet. It sometimes isn't just the carpet but the underlayment, too. They used some type of sealer on the flooring before laying a new pad and carpet.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

My husband makes this concoction in a saucepan on the stovetop.

He mixes apple juice or orange juice, add some whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice and a cut up orange and let the whole thing boil for a few minutes. Then he takes the pan and goes room to room to let the aroma of the spices and orange fill the room. Great when company is coming over to mask the doggie odor in the house. Some days the house just smells of dog! We also used this technique when we sold our last house. We would do this before anyone was coming to see the house. The cinnamon made the house feel "homey" and inviting!

Archived