CairnTalk

boys versus girls

PeppersMom

I have heard it both ways, but does anyone have an opinion on owing 2 Cairns? 2 boys or boy and a girl? I know females are dominant, but I have added another neutered boy and now my breeder says I should have gotten a girl..any thoughts?

My first Cairn was a female...my 2nd was also a female although there is about 10 years between them. Never any problems. Then we got Elliott, a definate male, neutered like the girls but he's the dominant one. He's the one who thinks he's the alpha, boss, king of swing....

I think it depends on each dog's personality, the way they were bred, interacted with littermates.

I'm sure you will get some excellent advice from other forum members who have all girls, all boys and mixtures.

Then we got Elliott, a definate male, neutered like the girls but he's the dominant one. He's the one who thinks he's the alpha, boss, king of swing....

And don't forget...he's our Hero of Hellion; our Playboy of Pandemonium! :D:D

our Playboy of Pandemonium! :D:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL ! That's a good one!

I have two boys, they'll be 8 months old on the 18th. They are litter mates, and everything has been fine so far. Only time will tell (fingers crossed).

I think the most important thing is having 1 dog that will back down when a situation gets heated. Bratt is my 'good time Charlie', he lives to play and everything is a game. He loves everyone!

Mett on the other hand I think is secretly plotting, and wishing for a thumbs!

I think Mett is the more dominate dog, but just when I say that- while watching them play they take turns being on their back and having the other dog 'play malling' eachother, the sound effects always get my attention- then they switch.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Been a while since I posted but we have a male, Axle, age 4+ (adopted so actual age is unknown) and a female, Cami, age 14 months. They both get along well with Axle being the dominant one since Cami looks for his approval in everything from wanting to walk together during their daily walks to chasing stray cats!

We have two females who are almost exactly 2 years apart and they get along great. We can't figure out which one is alpha. They have never fought and we call them "two peas in a pod".

When we were looking for a second dog, I had one breeder who wouldn't sell me a female because she thought they would fight. The breeder we got Finch from had 3 females living in her home at the time...so she was good to go!

Archived