CairnTalk

Mars Coat King stripper....got one, now what?

I went to a dog show today and picked up a Mars Coat King stripper #16. I have NO idea how to use it!

Do I just run it thru the coat? How many times over an area? And, how hard do I push on it?

Worried I am gonna make my Cairns bald!! :shock:

Help!!

Cathy

I use one on Rebel. I use it like a comb. I run it through his hair on his back first then work my way around. Then out comes the comb and if I need to hand strip around his ears or any place else I do that, then I brush him. It all takes no more than 15 minutes once a week. I am not a professional by any means and I just want him to look neat.

He doesn't seem to mind being groomed except when it comes to the toenails... :twisted: I now take him to petco where it is free on Wednesday.

Thanks for your response, Liz.

After reading about Petco doing your dog's nails, I decided to give our's a call, too, as I won't attempt that either. Unfortunately, they no longer offer free nail clippings. I used to do our older Cairn's nails but I cut the 'quick' one time and she yelped and bled so much! Just broke my heart :( .......

May I ask how you handstrip around the ears? And, what do you on Rebel's head? Our little guy is looking a bit scruffy there.

Thanks again,

Cathy

Cathy

When I strip or pull his hair. I will bring up the hair between two fingers on my left hand. Then I pull out the hair that is a little longer. It comes right out and he doesn't mind. It reminds me of when I get a hair cut and the stylist brings the hair up between two fingers and cuts off the longer hair. I hope that makes sense.

There are books and articles on hand stripping and how to do it. The breeder I got him from showed me how easy it was to hand strip a dog but since I am not going to show him...I just do it my way and I think he looks nice. I would rather do a little grooming each week than a bunch every 6 months. His hair is still very course and the mars tool doesn't seem to have changed that.

Good luck with your little one they are such wonderful little dogs. We have had Irish Setters in the past and grooming them was very different.

Archived