CairnTalk

Laser Tag

ballast

Darra is fascinated with the red dot produced by my laser pointer. She will race back and forth across the room, trying to catch it or pounce on it only to find it is now 3" further away and pounce on it again. If the dot disappears, she will search all over for it. :P

She has gotten much smarter about it though. She now has made the connection between her people holding something and the presence of the dot. When it is not in front of her, she now turns and checks behind her. She will visually track it up the wall and onto the ceiling, keeping it in sight until it returns to the floor.

Despite all of this, she has never lost her obsession with it. She will stop harassing the cat(s) to chase it. She will drop the paper towel she is shredding (and which she runs behind the couch to keep you from taking) to chase it. In general, she will give up anything she has and anything she is doing when she sees the dot.

We are careful not to point it in her face of course and even tho she is obviously disappointed when it disappears, we try not to over do it.

The current cats, on the other hand, show little or no interest.

I need to borrow my brothers laser pointer to see if Savannah shows any interest in it. If she does, sounds like a fun, easy thing to use to play while I can still relax! I am all for that!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Widget is a big fan of the laser pointer. I took it outside one evening and had him running all over the yard. A great way to get the little puppy to be tired.

Skeeter also loves his laser pointer. Actually, this is the only way we can make him come back inside the house when we let him play or go potty in the yard. :-)

Twice in the last couple of weeks I've gone into Radio Shack to purchase one and they were out. I'm going to keep trying - it sounds like a lot of fun!

I WISH Darcy would get aroused by flashlights and laser, but she doesn't. Instead WE have to run with her to run her out.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I have forgotten about the laser pointer and will drag it out again. :thumbsup: When my guys were younger they loved it, and I have a cat "Buzz" who is obsessed with that red dot he would sit on the table and Meow until we got it back out, but unfortunately when we got Tuff and Tippy, the laser dot had to be shared; so poor Buzz wouldn't participate because he was not happy with having dogs in the house. Now he is use to the dogs and maybe the three of them will play together with it, it's a great way to tire out active animals. :P

Tuff & Tippy

I don't have a laser pointer but Alfie likes chasing those little radio controlled cars that were a hit with kids about 3 years ago.

Just a word of caution without being a killjoy :ninja: but just don't point the laser to the eyes as it can cause eye damage..... B)

Anna, you're absolutely right about not shining it into their eyes!

Last week I bought a $10.00 remote control car thinking Scully would have a blast with it. Ummm...nope! It just caused her to bark uncontrollably at it. Boy was she p**** at it! :P

Scully's Mom...The laser pointers are also sold at Petco & Petland. have fun, but again, be careful of the eyes!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I don't know if it's in-built or if you can create it, but we had a Cairn that was so obsessed with light it could drive you crazy. She would pounce and chase the light/shadow interface cast on the floor by an opening/closing the refrigerator door. She would pounce on the reflection of my watch crytsal as I drank coffee in the morning sun in the kitchen. She would prowl the floor pawing at light and shadows. You had to take her potty in the dark without using a flashlight because she couldn't concentrate on anything other than the light. On the other hand, it was a bullet-proof way to get her back in the house at any time.

We orginally thought a friend had 'ruined' her by teasing with a laser light because we really only noticed it after that, but after seeing a similar dog on "The Dog Whisperer" I'm guessing it may have just been our poor training/exercising of her. Even so, it still makes me a bit leery.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

Archived