CairnTalk

Pictures of my Cairn

PTBoater

Hi,

I am new to the forums - I think the forums and the website are outstanding. I am a two-time Cairn owner. Sammy, my wheaten Cairn, is 2 1/2 years old. I created a website for him to share his pictures with the world.

Visit Sammy's Website

My wife and I have no children, so Sammy is the object of all our attention and affection. He is adorable and the most spoiled rotten dog on the planet! :D

He likes to sleep with us, poking his nose under the covers at night and getting close to either my wife or I. This dog does not have a single angry bone in his body - he is friendly with everyone, stranger and family alike, and LOVES kids (I think he likes it when you are more at his eye level). He runs up the stairs and gets all excited when you walk part of the way up and have your face at his level. He is also quite fond of little stuffed toys that squeak - he doesn't like the plastic ones, just the furry ones, and they have to squeak. One will last him for months. If it doesn't squeak, it lasts him (literally) 60 seconds (and I have to spend 1 hour vacuuming the house).

I am a car enthusiast, and own a Miata and a PT Cruiser, both of which get waxed once a month. Sammy is the only creature allowed in either of my cars who does not have to wipe his feet first before he gets on! :mrgreen:

Sammy was really, really sick when we first got him. We got him on a Sunday, and on Tuesday he was in Intensive Care with oxygen. He had all sorts of things wrong with him (don't care to even go into details). He was coughing for six months. However, we took good care of him and he is 100% better now.

Although he barks like other dogs, I am amazed on how he only "talks" to my wife and I - when he is hungry, when he is happy to see us, when he wants to play. Rather than barking, he moves his mouth like talking and this growl/rough speak comes out that is hilarious. If you don't pay attention to him he will jump on you and start "talking".

When you talk to him, he turns his head from side to side - it look like he is struggling to understand what you are saying. It is the cutest thing you ever saw.

Well, I could go on for pages and pages, but I decided I'd share these thoughts and pictures with fellow Cairn parents.

Enjoy!

Sam (yes, I named him after me. Go figure :P )

The pictures of Sammy were very entertaining. His color is beautiful. And I am so happy that you enjoy him. Good luck to your family.

Posey :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy everything turned out so great for Sammy after being so sick. Such a precious dog. I could so relate to the talking. It's something only a Cairn owner could relate to. I just love it when my Cairn, Taffy, talks to me and turns her head from side to side when I talk to her. What an innocent, precious face. She's about 10 or 11 now, I've only had her for 2-1/2 years, maybe 3, and so I never got to experience the puppy stage. Needless to say I'm going to get a puppy pretty soon. I've just never experienced any other dog like the Cairn. I rescue her out of a very hot, dirty, dark old garage where she had been for a day and a half and was supposed to stay there for another 2 to 3 days when my daughter told me about her being locked up there. It was 100 degrees that day in Austin, TX. I didn't even know Toto was a Cairn, didn't know what a Cairn was. When we finally got that garage door unlocked and little Taffy came running out so happy, I'm telling you, it was love at first sight for me. She was the cutest thing I had ever seen. Her hair was so matted and nasty, so we took her home and attempted to give her a bath, but it did not good, too many mats. When the owners got back in town, they offered to give her to me, so of course she was mine. She looks just like Toto, but to tell you the truth, I really love the wheaton, like Sammy; so that's probably what I'm going to get. Anyway, I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading about Sammy. I was laughing out loud at so many things you said, just knowing exactly what you were talking about. Thanks for sharing your precious Sammy with us.

Archived