CairnTalk

Cairn Newbie Questions

Dawnya

Just wanted to welcome you to the board! I also read your post from the Getting To know You thread.

A cairn's coloring can change throughout their life from dark to light to dark again so there's no telling when their 'adult coloring' will come in.

Re the ears - honestly I don't know the answer......someone else may be able to comment on that...

Your cairn looks so cute!

Welcome to the forum. Fergus' wirery (sp?) adult coat began to show at about four months. His colour hasn't changed much since he was a puppy (he's almost a year now) but is showing some signs of darkening on his feet, muzzle and ears.

His ears took forever to stand up. The right one was up from about six months but the left one remained floppy until he was nine months old. I've read that it can take up to a year, for some. I'm looking forward to you posting some photos.

Fergus :P & Alf

perky100.jpg

Welcome to the crew! Your puppy is absolutely beautiful.

I've had two Cairns and with both of them their coloring got a little darker as they got between 1-2. As far as the ears go, I too don't know anything about that. I got one puppy at 8 weeks and one at 10 weeks and both of them had their ears up already.

Finch is almost 2 years old and she is the same color she was when she was 8 weeks old. Scout, who is almost 4 years old, was all black when she was born, turned almost grey a year later, and now has more red in her hair than grey!

Scout's ears were standing up when we got her at 10 weeks. Finch's ears stood up at about 11 weeks.

Welcome to Cairn Talk!!!!!!!!!

On ears, I've found that a lot depends on the puppy. Some ears stand early, and others come up late. Of my two puppies, Mett had both his ears up around 16 weeks. And Bratt, well at 6 months I ended up gluing both his ears up, and after 5 days poof! they were up.

As for color- that's where the surprise lies- will it change or won't it?

If your puppy has the brindle gene, then it will most likey change every few years as I understand it. Both Mett & Bratt are Light Brindles with black stripes in the coat-

Welcome to the Forum!

Tracy, Bratt & Mett

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

One of Savannah's ears was up good at about 9 or 10 weeks, the other one followed about a month later. From what I have read, most are up by 6 months.

As for color, Savannah had her brown puppy coat, then turned completley wheaten, then grey and now she looks like she is turning red. She will be a year old in January. According to the breeder, she has about every color Cairn imaginable in her pedigree so you never know what color she will be. That is one of the things that I love so much about her is that her coat is so unique. :P

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Guest girliejr

Jack had the one ear up and one ear down syndrome for a while at about 6 months or so. They finally both stood up by the time he was 10 months or so. His color changed alot in the first year. He was really dark black as a puppy, but he lost most of that. He was a year before his color stayed put!

Your pup is so cute! Good luck with him/her!

that baby is just too darn cute!!!!

Ellie's ears popped up fast, Dori's took forever, around 9 mo., they'll be 1 in Feb.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Alfie's coat hasn't really changed much at all, he's a Wheaten with Black mask. In fact he barely sheds and none of his fur seems "blown" yet, so I'm starting to wonder if this dog will ever give up hair!

He had the one ear up and one ear down thing going for quite awhile - until about 6 months or so, then one day they both just stood up, actually I was sad! I loved that scrappy look about him!!

welcome to the board

Jen

Archived