CairnTalk

Shampoo

Mama Kim

What kind of shampoo do you use for your cairn? Their skin is tricky so just wondering if you use an oatmeal shampoo or what? Thanks!

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Mama Kim,

We used a no name brand we got at a pet store a few times but switched to the 1-800 Pet Meds Aloe and Oatmeal formula a few months ago. As my pup is wheaten colored with pink skin, I knew he was sensitive. This formula works great and he is even beginning to like bath time each month. Just make sure and rinse your pup really good. The directions on the bottle state to rinse the suds until you can see the skin clearly and then rinse again.

For occasional 'spot cleaning' (for instance, the undercarriage on our male) we use a no-rinse spray-on shampoo called Pro-Line Self-Rinse. It's kind of purple and we see it at dog shows everywhere. The two times (in eight years) that we did a full-body bath we used something called Bio-Groom Harsh Coat shampoo. (I think I ordered that from JB Pet or one of the other mail-order pet supply places although it's also found at almost every dog show.)

We try to never bathe one unless we must for some specific reason. Running through an oil slick at the beach being one example; finding a dead seagull to roll on while we were looking for agates being another. If a dog has good, harsh, live coat and their skin is in good health (these tend to go together) we don't see the need. Our dogs smell delightfully fresh. Call me weird but I particularly enjoy the 'little cloud' of scent that their double coats carry in with them from outside. Remind me I said that when one of 'em meets a skunk someday :shock:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Archived