CairnTalk

Dash brought me a present!

DashellKc

I was letting Dash in the house and he had something in his mouth. He ran into another room. I got there and he was sitting in front of me with a dead bird :sick: in his mouth. He took off like a wild man. I chased him all over the house and finally got it away. How gross. I cannot even give him his nightly snuggles. EWW! I still love the little bugger but, atleast bring me a stick or a flower.

Taylor and Dash :devil:

:shock: I know exactly how you feel but we must remember that it's in their blood and characteristic of this breed we love so much.

I had a chipmunk that lived in our stone wall that I became friendly with (pre-Elliott days) I would feed him peanuts or other goodies on a daily basis. It got to be such a close relationship that when I'd sit outside on our bench, "Chipper" would come running down the lawn and jump up next to me. I could actually call him and he'd pop up to perch on his favorite rock.

You can imagine my saddness when last year I saw Elliott with Chipper in his mouth. Of course he was dead but what could I do? Elliott was so proud of himself so I couldn't scould him. Chipper was buried and I now will not make friends with any neighborhood critters.

Has anyone's pup ever eaten a critter like a mouse? When it gets cold, we sometimes see a mouse outside our house, and it drives our pup crazy. I am worried he will eat one and get sick. :(

Cooper has caught mice, but never eaten one to my knowledge...he is always more than happy to bring it to me and drop it at my feet!!!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

When my senior cairn Chelsea was still alive, my younger cairn Sammy would kill them, but Chelsea would eat them. We live above a wetlands area, so these are country mice. I might worry in a more populated area that the mice might have gotten into poison. I'll never forget the first time I saw those little feet and tail disappearing into Chelsea's mouth. Down the hatch!

Boy howdy. A dachshund friend and I were out in the field ratting in falling-down buildings and trailing bunnies and whatnot and we swapped dogs so I could have an experience with a seasoned field dachsie. We were walking along whent the Dachsie grabbed something off the ground and I saw a tail working it's way down. I found out that at least this stranger isn't able to take a mouse back out of the mouth of standard Dachshund. The owner lauged and said he ate stuff like from time to time.

Like cairnrescueleague, I'd be more worried about eating a mouse that had been poisoned. We lost a cat that way to the barn behind the house I grew up in.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

Ugh....I am so so afraid of rodents. We dont use poison around our house, and actually never saw them before (we did see a dead rat after a raccoon had finished with him :sick::sick::sick: ). This October was the first time we saw a mouse - it was a small one hiding under one of our bushes :sick: , and boy could our pup sense its presence.

Archived