CairnTalk

That darn Elliott

kayharley

Every fall we bring up wood from our woodpile to stack on the deck.

Last year Elliott would not leave the wood alone. He was constantly chewing on pieces he'd find under the rack and even whole logs had his little teeth marks in them. He would then poop out pieces big enough to use for kindling!

So this year I decided to take apart an old ex-pen and use it as a fence around the woodpile. Guess I was outsmarted....

I let all 3 out this afternoon for business, 2 come back in and of course Elliott is no where to be found. I call and call and then I see that little face that I love so dearly...

2222.jpg

How he managed to get behind that fence is beyond me...it's secured on both ends

Sorry this pic is so big. I seem to be having trouble getting Elliott down to size.

Helliott, Helliott, Helliott.......it's no wonder we just love you so much!!!

He just looks like "What Mom???? Me???? I didn't do nothin'"

That one's going to keep you young!

By the look on his face and all those attached snowballs on his legs, he was definitely having a grand time in there!!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Thats a Cairn for ya! Cute one too!

You know I had that same cage, and as Digby got older he would get out of it. For the life of me I could not figure out how he was doing it. I pondered it for about a month, and then one day I came home and while I was still putting my bags down I decided I would call him to come while he was still in the pen. Sure enough, he obliged, he climbed and scaled it right over the top and plopped down free as a bird. I could not believe my eyes. Mind you it is still fairly tall and wobbly. Very brave and tenacious. :devil:

That may be what your little guy did too.

We solved the problem pretty easily..Bought the 4 ft tall (instead of the 2FT'r) pen from the same maker. Problem solved, he went in it, looked around and decided not to even bother trying. :)

Thankfully he is approaching the age where will start trying to let him have free roam of the house.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

How cute! Yoda goes right up over the top of those too...had the 3', bought the 4'....still climbed it like a monkey! We use it only at the lake, so my husband put garden netting on the inside, and boards on part of the top on some of it....that cured the problem....what we do for these dogs to keep them out of trouble!!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

I don't care how high the fence, I'm convinced these little dogs are 1/2 cat, 1/2 kangaroos. I also have invested in the taller fences and experienced the old saying, "the taller the fence, the higher they climb". The only thing that stops :devil: Abby is that my husband rigged up a 1 1/2 ft inside ledge around the entire perimeter. So far, (knock on wood) she hasn't escaped yet.

abbyrose17lk.gifAbby Rose

The best part of that picture is the look on his face. It's like, "Hey Mom, Aliens put me in here, I swear! I am innocent!"

I :wub: Elliot!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

The problem with climbers is once they know how to climb, there's nothing really stopping them no matter how high. It's just one paw after another. For a dedicated climber, an ex-pen lid is the only answer. They will scale a six-foot chain-link fence as easily as a three-foot ex-pen. Fortunately *some* dogs have a personal limit as to how hard they'll try. For those, a taller ex-pen may be all that's required.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

That is an adorable picture!

Scout likes to sit by our wood pile too. It's her favorite place to sit and watch the squirrls and it's a bonus if she catches a mouse here and there!

The problem with climbers is once they know how to climb, there's nothing really stopping them no matter how high. It's just one paw after another.

Are you serious? I've been thinking that Mia was trying to climb our fence, but then I thought, "No way!"

Adorable picture of Elliot, by the way. Mia also loves to chew wood. :(

To me, his face says: "Hey Mom... it's Elliot here... what's the big deal????"

Too adorable!!!

Edit to add:

P.S. We found that Darcy will climb anything that has bars going both vertically and horizontally. So we buy gates and such that only have bars going vertically... like jail! LOL!!!! She hasn't escaped since!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I think Elliot'ts expression says, "Um...I was just out here and I...uh...saw this fence and um...thought I would...uh...make sure it works.... Yep, seems like it keeps this wood safe. You're welcome, Mom."

I think Liddy has a crush on Elliott, too. It must be his bad boy image.

I thought of the very same thing....Harley jacket with a studded collar and maybe one of those helmets with a spike sticking out of the top! Can you imagine how much damage he then could do? :lol:

I just adore that dog along with Maddy and Win. How did I ever live without them?

Archived