CairnTalk

Sailing Cairns?

I've been researching the Cairn & have decided it's the breed for me...and my husband. Though we have a home & yard, we are also avid sailors. Does anyone know if Cairns can be trained to enjoy a boat? And any other tips for making the pup more water/boat savvy? Thanks! 8)

Allowing for individual differences, I have no doubt it's possible. Most Cairns seem 'up' for most any adventure, but I'd always allow for the fact a given dog may not enjoy it. Some dogs get motion sick in cars; others travel beautifully. Lots of early socialization to the intended environment usually helps with anything.

Particularly with a puppy I'd expect the level of diligence and attention you will be required to exhibit will be extraordinary. "Trusting" a dog on a boat too early (before age five or so?) could be a mistake. Taking your eye off your dog in the house might lead to a soiled carpet. On a boat? Another area to look into is footing. I'm told that having young growing puppies on slippery footing a lot is hard on their joints, etc.

That said, we've taken a pair of Cairns rafting before and they had fun. They looked fashionable in their brightly colored life-jackets and stood forward leaning into the wind with that look of drunken rapture you often see when they are drinking in a rush of air with all its smells. Between that and barking at shorelife and guarding us against hostile boardings by passing rafters, they seemed to have a ball.

Do be careful, and very very conservative.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived