CairnTalk

Wet Cairns in the snow/rain

sanford

All the coats/jackets I see have a strap or band the goes under the belly. These are all basically fine for keeping the dog dry on top when it's raining or snowing. The problem is, when it's wet outside these little Cairns get totally wet & dirty on their bellies, because they're so close to the ground.

Would a pull-on sweater solve this problem? I tend to think the sweater would need to be washed & dried after every walk in the snow/rain, so that doesn't seem practical either.

Has anyone found a solution to this, that they'd like to share?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hi,

We must be in the same area. Ours is supposed to hit tonight as well. Our friends to the North must be laughing however...we are supposed to get 3-6 inches. Trust me, it will shut Baltimore down for a month :lol:

At any rate, I use sweaters on my guys. It does keep their little tummy's dry and it just looks so darned cute. Logan jumps all over when he sees his. Sadie is another story. Did you know that it is possible to make a terrier stand in one position, on three feet only for a very long time? She HATES her sweater. Of course she hates her collar and hates to cuddle. She is just too busy for any of that nonsense. At 13 pounds she is going to have to learn to like it. :whistle:

Same question my DH has been asking me since they walk no matter what the weather is! I'll go get a sweater for Alfie. We are also expecting the snowstorm to hit our area. We're only 40 mins from NYC where I believe it will really hit hard.

We have not used sweaters or jackets on our two yet. Their fur repels the water so they don't get soaking wet. Scout does have some boots that I had to buy her since she refuses to go outside, in the snow, when it's colder than 20 degrees or so. We are supposed to get snow on Thursday...so we shall see!

Yeah...Right you are, Shoe. I fell for that myth, also..."Their fur repels water..." Tell that to my Cairn after I've gone through two bath towels & he's still not dry!

The saving grace is that my guy LOVES to be rolled around in a towel and be vigorously dried off. He thinks it's a great game & comes running in the door after a walk in the rain or snow & throws himself down on his towel, tail wagging & all excited in anticipation of being rolled around and rubbed down! Thanks to him I always enjoy his delight, coming in after a gloomy slog in the wet outdoors.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest CairnTCrazie

I have both sweaters and coats for Emma (she has a bigger closet then me! *rolls eyes*). I usually put a sweater on her tho, as you can see in my siggy. I did find a really nice rain coat at petco a while a go that Emma wears quite often and it keeps her clean, dry, and the best part is its very easy to clean! I dont know what brand it is but I can tell you that its blue with reflective stips along the sides. good luck! :D

My problem...

If your Cairn needs to go out and the weather is not pleasant, how long will a normal Cairn wait to get dressed up before he/she has an accident in the house?

I would love to put the raincoats, sweaters and booties on all of mine but let me tell you, it's not a 2 minute job.

Let the elements prevail and I'll deal with the stomach litter and grundgy paws. Far better than 3 puddles inside!

I think it is how hard it's raining and maybe how hard the coat is. Rebel and Sugar both seem to repel the water in a normal rain and the pug gets soaked. The pug likes the sweater and the cairns are no way we are ready to go!!!!!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

My pup loves clothes - we call him our supermodel since he loves to wear his shirts or sweaters even indoors! But I just cant get him to wear booties. :( Bought another set and am trying again...

Good point, kayharly. I would add that it can take longer to dress me than it takes to dress my dog.

My gear: sweater, scarf, hat, gloves, boots, sunglasses, (for the glare), iPod, doggie bags, treats, handkerchief for my runny nose, (I'm a mess!), etc. Also, I try to take the mail along with me. As long as we're out, I figure I can mail letters at the same time. I put them in my pocket, often forget and end up bringing the letters back home!

In my next life, I'll hire a dog-walker.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I am in the process of making jackets for Mett & Bratt- Originally they were going to be for our Xmas visit to Chicago to see my parents, but since it's gotten into the 20's here, I find Mett starting to shiver after about 15 mins outside. Poor little guy, Bratt needs to learn to potty faster!

I think it's because so much of his underside was shaved by the Vet for his surgery- Bratt on the other hand shows no signs of being chilled.

Oh and Mett has no shortage of hair either, which is why I was surprised at his shivering.

Tracy (I'll post photos of the finished coats)

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Archived