CairnTalk

Look who's on the homepage!

CathyAnn

Guest Darcy's Mom

Is it me or are Cairn's becoming more noticable i.e., t.v.commercials, catalogs, and now the Target ad. I don't think this is such a good idea cause if they become too popular, oh I don't want to even think about it. Personally, I like having a breed that is uncommon as opposed to common.

I can only hope a movie is never made with a Cairn in it; it would be like 101 Dalmations, the Taco dog (can't even spell that breed name), etc. Popularity would not be an especially good thing. Just my thoughts.

Sandy

Yes, I agree that Cairns are definitely becoming more popular. Which, in turn, is not good for the breed. When people ask me about Piper, I almost want to fib and tell them that they DON'T want one!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Cairns unfortunately I think are going to become very popular. Just like a few years back, not many Boston Terriers in advertising, then boom! Now I see them everywhere. I hope the same wont go for the Cairn. I like having a breed that he is recognized for being a ToTo dog and that's it. My Dash, no matter what, sure does have a way with getting spoiled and loving it!

Taylor

I agree - hope the Cairn keeps a low profile and so difficult to photo the ad agencies will get fed up and find other star breeds. For starters ...........I hope we don't have to see a red bulls eye on a Cairn ! ugggggggggh! How humiliating. We need to keep our forum and pics under cover.

L

Lesley....I joined this forum in 2003 and it was very quiet here then.

If the number of new people that have recently joined is any indication, then Cairns are definitely becoming more popular. All we can do is hope and pray that the breeder's keep true to our beloved babies!!

Which reminds me of our cat breeder.....Year's ago we bought a purebred Abyssinian cat from a breeder here in Chicago. Our next one came from a local breeder about 10 years later. She ended up stopping her lineage and showing her cats as alot of breeder's decided to 'change the look' of Abbies. The direction they were taking the breed was not appealing. They used to have an apple shaped head and now they are going for a skinny, Siamese look. I totally agreed with her decision.

Again, hopefully these dogs will not be overbred or have their looks and/or personalities altered. I love them just the way they are!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

There is one in the ad for Lion brand yarns that they send to me in my email too. It's on the front of a calendar for knitted things, and he/she is modeling a dog sweater.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Also, there was a TV commercial recently that advertised Martha Stewart Christmas trees at KMart and there was this dog (a Cairn) with a sweater watching the tangled up man trying to undo lights. It was as if he were saying........what an idiot you are.

Also, I have to admit that my daughter has recently been plugging Cairn's in her 4th block class. She has been showing of our dogs pics for christmas and then the web site with your babies, and she even took our new calendar to school......lol......and even the computer facilitators were heard ooohing and aaahing in the back of the room! lol

mom of A & S

I agree with what everyone has said here. As a lifelong dog lover and owner, I have seen what has become of the "popular" breeds once they become Mainstream & desired by so many. Look at what happened to the spaniels in the 80's, and lately its been the Lab group, now it's Poodle-doodle mania (breed a poodle with whatever else has 4 legs)

Especially in the Labrador group, I've seen these dogs go from breed standard to becoming these HUGE dogs, outweighing and out-sizing anything that is breed standard. My parent's current golden lab is an example, he's 6 years old and weighs 115 pounds, and it's not all fat either, the dog is a MONSTER!! To my parent's defense, this wasn't something they asked for when picking out a new puppy - it's just the way they are all bred lately. They got Cody from an extremely reputable breeder with champion lines - it's the end result of constantly breeding the "best with the best" and doing it quickly to meet popular demand. The unfortunate end result is the poor dog's health and lifespan, etc. Cody is always on a diet, has already slowed down quite a bit, just doesn't act his years, has had to have several benign tumors removed.

I LOVE IT LOVE IT that we have a Cairn and that not many folks around here know what they are. When I have Alfred out and about people flock to me to see what he is, where did I get him. "Fortunately" :whistle: my breeder is a private breeder and she's done now, Alfred was in her last litter and there were only 3 pups, and there aren't any other breeders of this line around here that I'm aware of. hee hee.

I would be heartbroken if the Cairn breed became the next "family accessory" breed and it became tampered with. They are just such great dogs just as they are!!

Call me pig headed, but I want to keep the Cairn's to myself too! I enjoy seeing them in commercials, but don't want the breed to become popular at all!

Ahjenny.....your comment about Labs makes me wonder about the breed.

I have a friend who's husband is an oral surgeon and was on call over the holiday. Apparently, there are a lot of dog bites during T-Giving. Sure enough, he got paged that a little boy was mauled by a Lab. He needed extensive surgery to his mouth, neck and arm.

With so many people with Labs, have to wonder if this is another one that has been overbred. So very sad......

Cathy

P.S. Maybe we all need to start a pact that we will keep hush-hush about Cairns!!

Cathy and Piper

Oh my gosh thats terrible!!!

no matter how great the breed starts, overbreeding, even top lines, will start to surface undesireable behaviors and overall traits. sooo sad.

heck yeah! I'm not above lying to protect the breed :halo: "aaahhh yeahhh, he's just a little mutt I picked up from the shelter......" :whistle:

At least, given our dogs' wonderful and enthusiastic cairn attitudes, Paris Hilton will never successfully drape a cairn over her arm and make them a popular fashion accessory! Hmmmpf.

Archived