CairnTalk

Dog gates

Kathryn

ALl the talk about keeping our dogs separated from Christmas trees and holiday decorations has reminded me that I wanted to start a search for a better looking, more permanent dog gate. We still use two baby gates to close our girl off in the kitchen/dining room and, because she has never figured it out, we just lean them against the wall and she'll leave them alone.

Once in a while, though, I realize how "house-blind" I am to these gates, and how nice it would be to have something permanent that a friend could walk through (instead of move or step over) and that would look better. Something I could actually bolt into the walls, and open or close as I chose. Obviously something that folds or otherwise can be put out of the way without removing it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Steve is handy but time is a problem, so I don't think he'll ever build me anything.

Kathyrn, funny that you mentioned leaning the gates against the wall rather than securing them - Alfie also learned not to go near a leaned pet gate.

The best-looking gate I saw on the internet is this, but besides the way it looks (more elegant than the baby gates), I don't know how different it is in terms of putting it away, although it says it's easy to store.

Wood pet gate

Kathryn, I'm also looking for a good gate. The twist to my search is, I need a gate that will keep Fergus from going down the basement, but allow the cats to get to the litter box. Of course, those of us who have Cairns and cats know why they can't be allowed near the litter box ;).

Fergus :P & Alf

perky100.jpg

The ones we have (two of them), look like Brad's. The only difference I can see is that ours has a thing you step on so you can bump the gate open with your knee in case your hands are full. We bought them at ToysRUs. I know they sell the same thing at some pet stores, but they were almost double in price!!

I really like that wood one, but I would be afraid it might get chewed on if there were a puppy around.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Well, here is a picture of the modern doggie gate my husband built for me.

We were so tired of stepping over puppy gates and having company step over them. This door has made life with dogs so much easier. It swings open for easy entry. We still have a gate at the other entrance, but we just never go to the kitchen that way.

946481032-gate.jpg

The girls don't even really get close to it. Since it is solid they tend to stand way back so they can see who's coming thru the door..... :P

Here a couple of pictures of Tabitha "the LION dog" as we now call her. Her hair is finally beginning to grow back. She's doing so much better after surgery. No limping and she's getting around just fine. Still restricted to no jumping and no heavy romping. :devil:

21163230-tab1.jpg

she's even laying "frog dog" style again........LOL

33132062-tab2.jpg

OMG Now that the bandages are off ------------ Her Naked Little rear!

Okay, poor thing, must be chilly!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Guest Darcy's Mom

Do you by any chance have a "butt" sweater for Tabitha? I'm so glad she is doing good and pray she continues to get better every day.

Oh, could your husband build a gate like yours for Darcy? Looks very professional.

Loved the pics.

Teri...is that gate spring loaded, to close, or is there a latch on the other side? It sure is a better looking door that the usual baby gate!

Poor Tabita...all she's missing is the bear skin rug :shy:

Fergus :P & Alf

perky100.jpg

Teri...is that gate spring loaded, to close, or is there a latch on the other side?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

spring loaded so it closes behind you :)

That gate looks great! I have to show it to my DH and maybe he can copy it....

Tabitha does look like a lion! What about a tutu ballet skirt for her?

I love the gate! It looks very professional and elegant!

The picture of Tabitha "frog style" is SOOO funny! I think it looks funny because her rear end and legs are bare but her tail still has hair! I am so glad she is feeling better and I know that she will be glad when life is back to normal!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Her hiney does get cold :lol: Sometimes I pick her up and can't believe how cold it is. She is really looking very raggamuffin these days since she had to miss her last grooming appointment becuase of her surgery. I may try to give her a bath this weekend. She is just such a sweet girl :wub:

Teri, very nice door, hubby did a great job!!

If I may ask, what kind of surgery did little Tabitha have recently? I'm new here and missed it! Hope she's feeling better every day. She sure is a cutie pie.

Lion? or POODLE? I hope poor Tabitha doesn't get a dog identity crisis.

And yes, that gate is EXACTLY the kind I would like! I think your DH could go into the business of making them and find a long line of initial customers just from this list!

Guess I'll be buying one of the other ones though... :)

That's a great looking gate! I'll have to show DH so he can make one for us. We have to keep a gate on my DD's bathroom so that Scout and Finch will stay out of the litter box...yuck! We have a baby gate on the door now, but a swing door would be much nicer.....thanks for the idea!

Teri, very nice door, hubby did a great job!!

If I may ask, what kind of surgery did little Tabitha have recently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

she tore both ACL's in both rear knees.

Right leg was complete tear and the miniscus was removed as well. Left knee was just a partial tear. We are on week 4 of her recovery. Complete recovery is 4-6 months. :thumbsup:

That is a wonderful looking gate. I wouldn't dare ask my husband to make one...his list of things to do around the house right now is a mile long (and it seems to stay that way) :whistle:

Her poor little hiney....does the fur itch her at all while growing in? I can picture her in one of those baby panties that has the ruffles on the back. Of course you'd have to make an opening for her tail!

So glad she's feeling better.

Yes, nice gate Teri! And cute pics of Tabitha!

We have the gate that Brad posted. We got our at Target for about $60 (in the baby section near cribs & strollers) and it is TOTALLY worth it... especially since you have the option of pressure mounted, rather than screwing it into a wall. And it's TALL enough that Darcy can't jump over it. This is our 3rd gate with Darcy as she managed to jump over the first 2.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Archived