CairnTalk

Brindle Question

Tracy A.

Hi All:

I have a quick question- Mett & Bratt's breeder says that she isn't aware of the brindle gene being present in either the sire or the dam- I think they've got the brindle gene active- Can anyone tell from this picture?

They are 6 months old, and the below image is of Mett, where he was shaved for surgery- its about a weeks hair growth, and he still has the black stripes/spots in the under & top coat- i've been hand stripping at little at a time for about 3 months-

This is more of my curiosity than anything, I love them what ever color/s they'll be.

-Tracy

Mettstripe.jpg

BrattMettChair.jpg

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Brody's mom- Your babies are beautiful! I should only be so lucky to have Mett & Bratt grow up to look so nice! Can you haul out a puppy photo of the two?

Thank you for verifing the Brindling Thela & Brody's mom- I'm going to send the breeder photos so she can do some research on her lines, since she acts like this is a surprise-

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Awwww, you guys are really cute! You look like ME, and we are good looking, if I do say so myself! I am, however, turning MOCHA. What's up with that? My upright told me I might change color, but to really see it is really weird. Course, I will be handsome whatever color I turn. She thinks I am like a hydrangea. That maybe if she alters the pH of my food I will turn LAVENDER! I say, "Don't even go there, woman!" Geez, these up-rights. What we cairns gotta put up with. At least she hasn't dressed me up in some goofy costume. YET.

Woof!

Eli

Brody'sMom,

How do you groom your Cairns legs? They look so tidy compared to mine who have legs like Big Foot. It's so hard to strip that area because they act like I'm hurting them.

Mysticsol8,

I also love that photo of them together...they kind of blended into one. Too cute.

Kayharley, Mia's legs have not really needed grooming beyond the usual combing out with a fine tooth comb and a few strokes with a narrow Mars tool. Poor Brody on the other hand, the fur on his legs is incredibly soft and the hair grows really long. I confess I sissor him. I pull the hair out to the side and cut it with straight sissors and then use thinning shears to make it look more natural. I also sissor around both their feet. I try to make them look like a golf club.

Edited to add: I also use the thinning shears around their feet. It helps avoid a sissor line.

Even though it is in the low 30's tonight, I had to bathe Cooper due to something ugly he managed to get into. I noticed while bathing him his wide variety of coloring. He is a red brindle, and when we looks like a drowned tiger. When dry, his coloring goes from silver to red to black.

I'm sitting here watching him right now as he intently watches my husband who is eating yet another turkey sandwich...gimmee gimmee gimmee!!! Little does he know that won't be happening!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Our pup is brindle as well. When we first brought him home, he was a dark brown with a little black and grey (hence the name Bosco, after the chocolate syrup!). His colors have changed fairly dramatically - he started lightening up big time, and then became almost a honey wheat blond, but with silver highlights and a dark chocolatey muzzle. Now he is very silvery colored but still with a chocolate muzzle. :)

Your dogs are really cute! FYI cream brindles like yours tend to change color as they age...its like getting a new dog every few years! Do not be suprised if yours are black by the time they are 5 or 6. :)

Guest Darcy's Mom

The color changes of this breed really amaze me. I believe, some months back, there was all kinds of questions regarding the coloring and I think, not sure, that Brad posted some pictures showing the different colors a Cairn could be. Boy, was I surprised. You tend to think of these little imps as either black with silver, brindle (that encompassed soooo many colors), the light cream with dark marking on the face and ears, but these dogs can change dramatically from puppyhood to adults and beyond that. The two we had b/4 Darcy were a silver bridle (silver/black/some brown) and the cream color and they stayed pretty much the same all their lives. However, Darcy started out pretty much silver/black and has is now beginning to show some brown sploches on her back and her muzzle is turning red. I'm not even questioning it. It just is.

BTW, those pics are so cute.

Beautiful picture!!! My two are both brindles. Scout was all black, turned silver, and now has alot of red highlights.

Here is Scout about 8 months ago:

scout234057hj.jpg

You can see Finch's coat here:

august12finch28wn.jpg

Scout color is identical to Rusty's. I'll have to get an updated picture - some day's he looks red, now I see more gray - with blend of black. It almost seems like it changes daily. He's my camelion pup. Funny, I love the name Scout. My daughter thought our pup looked more "Rusty" in color - she won out. No matter the name or the color he is the best dog !

Mysicsol8

As you can see by the photos, Mia and Brody were obvious brindles from a young age.

This is Brody as a 4 month old (we got him at that age)

DSC01120.jpg

Here is Mia, she is about 5 months old (we got her around that time)

DSC01932.jpg

Both were so neatly groomed by the breeders, I wish I had the skill!

Archived