CairnTalk

Softsided carrier - help/advice please

Milopup

My pup loves his softsided carrier, but I think it is getting too small for him. If he stretched out fully frog style, he would be too big for the carrier. Problem is he loves his lil' home away from home. At this point, he can fit in the carrier but with very very little room to spare - he lays in there with his paws tucked under and loves observing the world from his safe place. When we go visiting or shopping, he stays in the carrier without a peep or a bark. And if we want to eat lunch during our visits, but dont want him running around, he can chew a treat in there for 30 mins with no problems.

Is it okay for him to stay with such a small carrier - he can fit in it still, but he is curled up a bit in there. :confused::confused:

I would think that as long as he's not staying in it for any length of time and he likes it, then there shouldn't be a problem. Now if you have to push his paws or backside in it to close the door then it might be too small.

I think our Cairns have a unique way of telling us what they like or don't like. :whistle:

He does scrunch himself in, but I do need to nudge him a little. He just loves the carrier so much - I tried to switch him to one of those longer black duffle-bag type carriers, but he wouldn't have it! He just likes his tan samsonite. :) Oh, he can turn around in the carrier (how I dont know), depending on the view from each end, he will switch back and forth! :D

Arn't you lucky to have found a carrier for your terrier? (oh, I am so witty!). I bought 2 softsided carriers when I first got my dogs and I know what you mean about not having anything of it! They WILL NOT go into it! As long as your happy and your pup is happy.. well, what else is there to ask for in life?

Proud Mama of Zephyr and Cleo--adopted into the family Feb. 2005 from the local SPCA.

picture

The carriers I have used with the most success have been the ones by Samsonite. When we first brought our pup home, we used the smaller one that is dark brown. At 6 months old, we switched to the larger/medium sized one that is a light tan color, and that is the one we use to this day. I think my pup likes it because it has mesh on both sides, and a mesh top. Plus I like it because it is the shiny water resistant material that is good for stains, and has nice side pockets for treats and poop bags.

BTW - as mentioned the black duffle-bag type carrier that I tried to switch to was a flop - he wouldn't have it at all!

I'd say that if he is not willing to change, and enjoys his current carrier, why change? He knows his own "space" and is comfortable with it...lucky you!

Archived