CairnTalk

Mars Coat King...12 or 16 blades?

Rocko'sMom

Hi. I'm a new to the cairn breed. I've convinced myself that I need a mars coat king as I will not have the patience to fully handstrip. My boy is only 12 weeks, so right now his coat looks as it is somewhat ready to be stripped, a few strands which I have pulled come out easily, but he really doesn't like it. :mad:

I've been reading past posts on this tool. I've noticed that most all who own one, have the 16 blade (which in some posts were stated to be a bit big). I've also noticed on the groomers mall website they sell ones with 12 blades. I really need help in choosing which to get.

I'd appreciate all your advice. I've always loved this breed and am excited to have one. And I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pictures!! :)

Thanks in advance. Glad to be joining you. ;)

I also use a 16 blade. Just be careful not to overgroom and remove too much hair. This could also be done with the 12 blade. The best thing about the MCK is the ease of use (simply use it like a brush). You'll be amazed at how much extra hair you remove and also at the difference in your Cairn when you are finished.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

There's nothin' in this world better than puppy breath!!!

The problem with the Mars Coat king is that it does remove undercoat, but it cuts the top hard coat. You don't want that because it will cause the new top coat to grow in soft. Take the time to learn to strip with a stripping knife...have your breeder show you how to do it...its well worth it! I like my dogs to look like show dogs even though they are not!

Thank for your advice. I have decided to order the mars coat 16 blade. Between this and handstripping the strays, I hope I can keep Rocko looking cairnish! I'm still a little confused at how the mars coat king works. Can anyone tell me if the hair still be long, just thinned out? I love the scruffy look and Rocko's just going to be our family pet, he's not intended for show.

Thanks everyone.

Try the search for any grooming / stripping discussions - The MCK is discussed constantly. The Mars Coat King both pulls AND cuts. It's used essentially like a brush or rake - in fact, it's a lot like a combination undercoat rake, brush, and manual clipper. It's a compromise that seems to do OK for a non-show coat. It pulls some, it cuts some. It isn't a replacement for classic stripping, but it's a reasonable compromise and considerably better than clipping for most coats. It is a bit unwieldy in size and you will still want to hand-finish the hair around the ears, face, tail and other spots.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

I have the 16 blade also. I think it does a terrific job, just don't overuse. Piper's coat is better than ever since I got one for her this past spring. In fact, her top coat is as coarse as ever, maybe more so, since I started using the MCK. I don't use it very often on her, maybe once a month, sometimes twice. Just enough to keep her coat in check.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

With the MCK do you use relatively hard pressure to get to the bottom of the coat or is it a softer touch. When I use a brush I brush fairly hard that is why I am asking. With the MCK I do medium or so but I really don't get that much hair!!!

I use the 16 inch blade and use a light touch...I wouldn't press down too hard....you can always take more hair off, but it's hard to put back on....lol!

The mars coat king is great!! I just got it in the mail today and used it on Rocko. He's gotten very good about letting the girls and I do anything we want to him, with my 7, 5, and 3 yr olds he has to be good about it!! (Pretty good for a 3 month old - I think!) :whistle: The mck costs more than most grooming supplies that I've seen, but it is a well built tool and takes off a good deal of hair. Underneath all that black brindle hair, I now have a reddish/gray/brindle! I'm still amazed at the ever changing coats on this breed. I'm sure I will get alot of use out of this tool. It's definately worth the $$!

I love this board, it's such a great place to get hints, tips, and advice. :thumbsup:

Archived