CairnTalk

Doggie "cookies"

Kathryn

I've always made Christmas cookies as presents for friends (my list has grown to 22 people) but this year I think I'd like to make some goodies for their pups as well. I found one dog biscuit recipe for garlic and corn flour biscuits, but I usually stay away from corn products for my dog. Do any of you have some tried-and-true doogie treat recipes you could share?

Thanks.

(Allie, of course, will volunteer to be my doggy tester for any new recipes I try.)

I have agreat one that my girls go crazy over. I'll have to check on exact amounts, but this is what you need......

Whole wheat flour

natural peanut butter

eggs, I think

I'll post up tomorrow, it's from the 3dogbakery cookbook for dogs.

I was planning on making some for them soon too. I just bought some really cute small dog bone cookie cutters.

Garlic Bites for Dogs

1 cup rice flour

4-6 cloves garlic

1/4 cup hot water

1 tbs. vegetable oil

1 egg, beaten

dry milk powder

Mix all ingredients in bowl (or food processor) and add enough milk powder to make firm dough.

Roll out dough to thin sheet, put flour on sheet and cut dough with cookie cutter of your choice.

Place on oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 300F. for about 45 minutes, for hard lightly toasted biscuits.

Let sit in turned off oven to finish drying if you like.

I don't use wheat or corn flour in my dog cookies...rice flour or ground oatmeal..

Teri, I can't wait to see the recipe!

I looked up some recipes a few years ago and there are thousands on the internet!

One word of caution.....I made lots of dog cookies for my friends and families one year. The dogs loved them, but my kitchen smelled like garlic and other nasty smells for days and days!!! I will stay away from recipes that contain garlic and molassas!!!!! :idea:

Simple Simon's Birthday Bones...

2 cups whole-wheat flour

1 tbs baking powder

1 cup natural peanut butter

1 cup skim milk

preheat oven to 375

In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder.

In another bowl mix peanut butter and milk.

Add wet mixture to dry, mix well.

Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead.

Roll out to 1/4-inch thick and cut out shapes.

Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until

lightly brown. Cool on a rack then store in an airtight container.

they are very easy and every dog I've given them to loves them :)

enjoy, my girls give them 2 paws up.

Wow -- both of those sound good enough to eat myself! I'll try them out on Allie over the weekend. (No turkey fat for her -- I've been reading this forum too long and know better..)

By the way, Allie adores garlic, and so do I. When I made pesto for a whole day at the end of the summer, she was under my feet the whole time, and Steve was checking in regularly to see when dinner would be ready.

Thanks!

Archived