CairnTalk

New Picture

hallswel

She was with me at work and was sitting looking so sweet. She went for her vet visit and is now 8.5 lbs

1717983Sugaratwork11-17-2005.jpg

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Kanyda

Sugar was born 6-7 so she is 5 1/2 months old and 9 1/2 inches at her withers. I really don't worry too much about her size because she is such a good healthy package. I have another Cairn, Rebel who is really big he weighs 21 lbs and at his withers he is 12 inches but he also is healthy and such a great pet. Rebel

Liz

Kanyda

Sugar was born 6-7 so she is 5 1/2 months old and 9 1/2 inches at her withers.  I really don't worry too much about her size because she is such a good healthy package.  I have another Cairn, Rebel who is really big he weighs 21 lbs and at his withers he is 12 inches but he also is healthy and such a great pet.  Rebel

Sugar is SOOO precious! I just love to see pictures of her!

Hallswell - Savannah's mom was 13 pounds and her Dad was 14. She is 10 months old and has weighed in at 14 pounds for several months. When she was spayed (close to Sugar's age) she weighed in at about 9 pounds so she is about on track with Savannah at that age. I think that she will probably be around the same size as Savannah which is just perfect for me! :D

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Sugar is just too cute. She looks like a perfect Cairn to me, but I'm just an amateur who loves them. Tink definitely isn't show quality, but we love her anyway. I don't know how you get such great pictures. Everytime I try to take pics of Tink she turns her head - camera shy!

LindaB

Marmielin

I don't know that I can remember ever seeing a cairn as gorgeous as your little Sugar! I can't imagine that judges wouldn't respond to the "whole package," as noted, with this girl. Her face is exquisite. And her coloring, and obviously you say she has the coat. Sometimes unwanted advice is just that -- unwanted. I think you should give her a try at showing at least. She might love it, and from what I can see (as an observer but not as anyone who has ever showed a cairn), attitude in the ring is also a really really big factor with these pups.

Somebody has to show standard-sized bitches and dogs or judges (and some breeders) will forget what they look like. All dogs have faults - meeting the standard for weight should not be a fault, even if exceeding it might be balanced by other virtures in the greater context of the entire standard.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

Aaawww. Sugar is so cute.

Hallswell. Were u at the Picture with Santa in Atlanta?

I saw two pretty cairns that day. If you were there, our dog Riley was the "scruffy" looking one...Yes he needs some major stripping:)

If you are talking about the terrier club one yes I was there working on the computer with Sugar in sleeping in my lap much of the time.

Liz

Sugar is just too adorable! I say forget the showing and get that pup a career in pictures!!!! She should be a dog model for all sorts of stuff! Too darn cute!!!!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Somebody has to show standard-sized bitches and dogs or judges (and some breeders) will forget what they look like. All dogs have faults - meeting the standard for weight should not be a fault, even if exceeding it might be balanced by other virtures in the greater context of the entire standard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but it's not what type of dog that's shown that matters, it's what type of dog that wins that influences the direction of a breed.

GSDs are a worst case example of what can happen. Specialty judges are fixated on movement and put up dogs that are very extreme in angulation. All rounder judges want sound movement but a less extreme dog. Obedience dogs can come from other type, but Schuzhund fanciers almost always go for German imports or stock, which tend to be squarer in look. Lots of pet owners want really big and/or really long-coated or white-coated dogs - which are miles apart from the standard. Not a great situation which in the long run is a detriment to the breed.

At least in Cairns all we're talking about is size, not massive differences in body structure, etc.

Stacey

Archived