CairnTalk

Cairns and allergies

firefly

I am looking into getting a Cairn, but I have some concerns about whether I will be allergic. I had an Airedale and did wonderfully with him, but they definately have hair and not fur. There was virtually no shedding, but I did need to give him "haircuts" periodically or the hair would grow too long. Can anyone give me input on this? I would never want to bring a puppy home and then have to find it a new home....

Welcome Firefly.

My wife and I are both alergy sufferers and were concerned when we decided we wanted to get a pup. One of the reasons we chose a Cairn was based on this fact. We have had Cody for 4 months now and he turned 7 months old on July 1st. Neither of us nor our friends who visit regularly have experienced any alergic reactions. We comb him at least once a week with a pin comb and find little to no hair throughout the house. We have both hardwood floors as well as carpet in the house and run the vacuum weekly.

Keep in mind also that if you get a Cairn and then get it stripped at the right time that grooming can even be kept to a minimum.

Are these dogs the greatest or what! 8)

Sorry for the original file size, I found a better photo anyway.

http://www.gameusedhockey.net/CodyToto.jpg

Dear Senator Cody,

Thank you sooo much for that information! I was holding my breath, hoping that was the case! :D I haven't even really gotten to visit with one yet , but am already falling in love. My research has led me to believe that Cairns and Airedales have very similar personalities and intelligence. It has taken me two years since the loss of my much beloved Hunter to even begin to consider another dog. I have my fingers crossed that when the next litter arrives in a few months, I will be letting you all know of my new arrival!

And, yes, by the way, the picture looks adorable. I hope you can repost it in the smaller size! :wink:

My wife is fairly allergic to most dogs and very allergic to cats and birds. We have four cairns and she has no problems with them. It is possible to be allergic to Cairns, but they are definitely on the "low" end of the allergic scale for most people. Being double-coated (like the Airedale I believe) keeps the dander to a minimum.

Truly the best way is to find a breeder, or at least a show, and get up close and personal with a few. After an hour or so in a "cairn-ful" household, you'll have a pretty good idea of how sensisitve you are. Most folks find them pretty hypo-allergenic and a good choice on that front.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks! I am definately going to make the trip up to Wolcott, VT. to spend some time visiting. The breeder/CTCA member I have spoken to was very willing to have me come for a visit. It's just a bit of a trek so I wanted some indication that it would be worthwhile. Especially since, I have a feeling, that once I see them, I'll not be able to resist! :D

Archived