CairnTalk

Size of my cairn

Dan

My five year old, male Cairn, full bred and papered weighs in at 31 pounds! I am concerned, but the vet has done blood work and he checks out okay. The vet said he is about five pounds overweight, otherwise just big for a Cairn. We feed him low fat dry food, 1 1/2 to 2 cups a day, plus a few healthy treats and some vegetables occasionally. He loves salad and grass. He is hungry though all the time :( Is this normal to be this size or is it common within the breed?

I would cut back to 1 cup or slightly less per day. Two cups is IMO too much to maintain a good healthy weight. Two cups is what I fed my

90 lb lab shepherd mix

I read that a fully grown Cairn needs only 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of dog food per day to maintian their weight and health. Divided in two feedings.

Posey :)

what kind of dog food are you discussing- dry or canned?

My almost 8-month old is supposed to have a can a day. He's probably about 11 pounds by now.

Thanks.

Ellen

Archived