CairnTalk

Even strangers know I have dogs!

kayharley

We went to a wonderful fundraiser over the weekend to raise money for CT kids. It was at a posh resort where 90% of the women were in silk & jewels. Not that I don't have nice things to wear....I looked very elegant in black but with dog fur all over me! :whistle: No matter how much I tried to it brush off, it was like a magnet that kept coming back.

Funny thing was, I didn't mind a bit. It made me feel especially close to my crew while I was not with them. I would just love to find a purse made from Cairn fur. Any designers out there? :lol:

Hi Kay:

I've heard about some Knitters who will spin their own yarn still- I've hear that they can spin in dog/cat fur into the yarn.

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

There is a place on line, that I think is down in San Francisco, that will take the dog hair you send them (or cat hair, or whatever hair) and turn it into yarn for you to use. I think they may even make the finished products for you if you want. I can't remember the name of the place off hand, but searching on the net, I'm sure you can find it....if you are serious that is!

I was at the fair this fall, and the spinners there had some things made out of dog hair....they were unbelievably soft!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

I've actually seen some of the handy work of the folks in San Francisco (my old stompin' grounds growing up). I didn't have animals back then and their big pitch was that you can have your animal memorialized when they pass on by always having mittens made out of their stinky hair. Let's just say, I'd pass then... and I'd still have to pass now. Heaven preserve you if you got it wet! "My, my ... who smells like wet dog??"

Proud Mama of Zephyr and Cleo--adopted into the family Feb. 2005 from the local SPCA.

picture

You know, this was a concern of mine too. I held those pieces at the fair up to my nose and took several big whiffs of them and they smelled no different than any other yarn I've ever worked with. I asked the woman in the booth if they smell when they get wet and she told me they don't. I was really quite interesting.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Guest Rufus hogdogs mum

I did laugh reading about you being covered in Fur,

It's amazing how you change after having a dog, we have had Rufus hogdog for 10 months now ,if any one had said to me this time last year that I would be swapping my chloe shoes for welly boots I would have thought them crazy!

But I have and its the best thing ever.

Guest Darcy's Mom

Long years ago pre-Cairn days we had Alaskan Malamutes and they have a soft under coat and harsher outer coat. In the fall and spring they woudl shed gobs of fur and I was constantly brushing them. I had a covered patio where I would brush them and I would collect the fur and throw it in the bushes, trees, grass, etc. for the birds to use in lining their nexts. I don't see why we can't do the same with our Cairn fur. I know the birds that stick around in the winter would much appreciate it. Just a thought.

I also do that, Darcey's Mom. I just love the Tufted Titmouse and they've been known to actually swoop down and pluck hair from humans and animals!

I also found that sometimes the scent of dog fur can ward off squirrels and such who dig in gardens for nuts. I used alot of Winnie's red brindle fur because it blended so well into our mulch!

I just recently put my feeders back out seeing the dogs have their own section of the yard and I don't have to worry about them rolling in bird poop or eating the shells off the ground. I even put a small suction cup feeder on my den window. So far Maddy and Elliott have allowed the birds to eat there. Can you believe it?

I mentioned a Cairn fur purse as a joke....lo and behold there really are items made from dog fur. :lol:

Guest Darcy's Mom

Kay,

I have no problem with dog fur items as long as they don't have to hurt or kill the dogs to harvest the fur. Several years ago there was a big to do about women's coats being fur trimmed with dog fur and the animal rights organizations were livid because they were killing the dogs and using their fur including their head, like the old fox wraps women wore years ago. I literally got sick to my stomach when I saw that! Now that is sick!!!

Archived