CairnTalk

Welcoming Home a 9 Year Old Cairn...

Hi, everyone! Even though I have very much experience with many different breeds of dogs, and the ins and outs of getting them accustomed to their new home and new friends (i.e. other cats and dogs), I've found myself in a bit of a unique situation.

My sister's fiance's family is, unfortunately, having to find a new home for their 9 year old Cairn Terrier, Buster. The father is refusing to have more than 1 dog inside at once, and since my sister's fiance got a new golden retriever puppy, Buster is apparently no longer allowed in the home. My sister's fiance's mother is heartbroken, and had been desperately seeking a home for Buster. My husband & I offered to take in Buster, because I have way too big of a heart for situtations such as these, and because I think I've begun to rub off on my husband...*grin*.

Well, we will be travelling the 4 hours to get Buster the weekend of July 25th, and I really want to make sure that I am prepared for his arrival. First off, his living situation is going to be different than it has been for the past 9 years. He's lived in a home with a large family, with another dog, a female cat, and a yard in which to run a few minutes every day (even though he was closely patrolled when outside). We'll be bringing him to the city (even though it's a residential, upscale section of the city), to a very large apartment (big enough to be a house, actually), where 2 other male cats already live, and on the 4th floor, so all potty times will be down the elevator, on a leash, and outside in the courtyard. For exercise, I'll also need to take him on walks, as there's no "yard" really big enough for him to run around in daily.

Basically, I'm welcoming any tips in making Buster feel at home, while also keeping my other two precious ones (Hop-Sing & TK) comfortable in their home. I've had to get a female cat accustomed to a chihuahua/rat terrier and to an english bulldog, but as she's SO easy going anyway, I worry I'm not going to be ready if Hop-Sing & TK really can't seem to handle Buster.

I've been told by Kathy (his Momma) that he really does get along well with other animals, even cats (although, the only ones he's really interacted with are females). So, any tips, just in case?

Also, any tips on helping him get used to not being able to run free in a yard, but having to be taken down an elevator 4 stories to potty?

Thanks so much, everyone!

- Jess

• 2 weeks later...

Jess, That's so nice of you to bring Buster into your home. I had a similar thing, in that I moved to Savannah, Georgia with my Cairn, who was used to a yard to run around in. Well, I moved to an apartment and I had to take her out on a leash as many times as I was able to let her do her thing. Well, my dog is about 11 years old, I think, give or take a year, and she had spots all over that apartment. However, because of my profession, I may be home all day every day for a few days and then not be home for hours at a time, maybe all day every once in a while. So even though I tried so hard to take her outside consistently, it just wasn't possible sometimes. But it was frustrating because there were times that I noticed she would wet the carpet when I knew I had taken her out several times that day. I guess the scent on the carpet from the other accidents kept her going back to that spot. I have now moved back to Austin, TX and have a yard for her to run around in and she still spots the carpet here. I try to get up in the middle of the night and let her out but that's not consistent. I've given up. I could make her stay outside but she brings me so much joy being in the house with me. She makes me laugh all the time. Her personality is hilarious. She's like having a 2 year old child around. I've only had her -- I was going to say 2 years, but I think it's actually been 3 years now. She's a handful, but she's worth it.

Anyway, I hope all goes well with Buster. Just in case Buster doesn't adjust well, I hope he does, but if he doesn't, surely you can find someone to adopt him that has a yard. I would take him, but I'm sure you live too far away. I wish you lived somewhere near Austin, Texas. I've been thinking about starting a rescue for Cairn Terriers. I think the key is going to be patience. You sound lilke the kind of person that will handle it just fine. If you would like to E-mail me, I'm at karoldhill@prodigy.net. I'm a court reporter in Austin, Texas. What color is Buster? My Cairn's name is Taffy. She looks just like Toto.

Hope to hear from you.

Archived