CairnTalk

The Doggie Birthday Party

Kathryn

Allie turned 8 yesterday, and we held our annual doggie birthday party last night. Attendants included Grace the standard poodle, Xena the dobie, and new little Pepper, a 5-month long-haired doxie. Allie's best friend Walt couldn't make it -- he was at home with kennel cough, which he picked up at our local dog park. (There's an alert for you - poor Walt is really hacking, though apparently it's not that dangerous and he'll be fine.)

The dogs all got along because they all decided that Allie was the boss, and that's the way she insists on it. Little Pepper hid under his mom's chair most of the time, but this was his first experience with so many other dogs. Allie and Grace started to go at it for a minute, but then Grace knocked a chair over on Allie and that ended that! Allie was fine, but confused...Grace was scared by the noise she made.

Xena's mom (my cousin) brought an appetizer with peanuts, not knowing that Grace's mom is very allergic. She had tasted the snack before she asked what was in it (so used to our house being safe, I guess). So we had to make a quick run back to her house for her epi pen.

Food (prepared by DH) included watercress salad, braised beef short ribs, squash and apple casserole, broccoli, cranberry/pecan bread and an assortment of apples and cheese for dessert. Nice wines too!

The dogs got liver treats (real dried liver!). They also all got new toys. Allie is absolutely crazy about her heavy cloth frisbee, covered in spots like a holstein cow. We sent home Walt's new squeaky pheasant. All the other dogs in his family are "bird dogs," so we thought this might help him fit in.

I really do need to get a digital camera. This was such a great night, and it would have produced such great photos. From the first sniffs to the last of the snacks, all had a good time.

I walked Walt's mom home down the street because she didn't have her dog with her for "protection." When I came home, Allie had torn into her gourmet doggie treats (left by mistake on the coffee table) and eaten the Howl-o-ween ghost from the local dog bakery. She was exhausted, and I think she was glad I left this morning so she could spend the day in bed.

Archived