CairnTalk

Cairns first stripping

Guest Kara

Hi,

My cairn just turned six months old. Can you please tell me when he should be stripped. How often. And if anyone lives in Manhattan if you have any recommendations as to who to use!

Thank you,

Kara

Hi Kara,

I think we met yesterday, when we were walking our dogs along the esplanade on the Upper East Side. Your little pup is adorable. I don't know at what age he should be stripped, but as you pointed out, he sure looks ready for it!

Here is the contact info for the place I mentioned to you: The New York School of Dog Grooming, 455 Second Ave. (26th St) 212-685-3776.

They are really nice people & did an excellent job with my Cairn. I was reassured that they knew what Cairns are supposed to look like and that stripping, not clipping was the way to go. They bathed my dog, trimmed his nails, etc. I gave them specific instructions and photos of Cairns with properly groomed coats and they followed all my requests.

Of course these were students, working under professional, licensed supervisors and I was a bit uneasy about that, but it turned out fine. At $55.00, (no tipping required), it was less than half the price of salons and private groomers!

Hope this helps. Let us know how it went.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I had the girls groomed for the first time (outside me brushing etc) yesterday. They turned out cute, but i'm not sure it's the traditional way to do a cairn. I'm gonna take pics of them later and post. Dori is a little too short for my liking. Maybe next time we'll do the stripping route....at least it grows back!!!! I still love em'! :)

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Archived