CairnTalk

groomer

We have had our two for about five months. They are both older and their coats are getting long and one is really shedding. They are supposed to be stripped(?) Does someone know of a good groomer in Maine? Thanks

Just hand strip them yourself. Very easy especially if the coat is blown. Just start by taking soome of the hair between your thumb and forefinger and applying a steady pull. You cna work very quickly or use a fime toothe comb, maybe a flea come and comb it out.

What do you mean 'if the coat is blown'? I have an 11 week old cairn that I think I will try grooming myself. Our previous cairn was taken to a groomer every six weeks but she looked more like a Westie because the groomer doesn't hand strip. I am going to get an undercoat rake and a Mars tool (thanks to Susan's recommendation) and the CTCA grooming booklet.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

The coat is "blown" when it is dead. THe dead hairs will not fall out and they should be pulled out. THe blown coat is dry looking and has lost color in the tips and pulls out very easily!

Thanks, Jakesdaddy, I'd never heard that term used before.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

You can purchase the Mars Coat King from the Col. Potter Cairn Terrier website. It is the most inexpensive place to purchase it that I've found. Their website address is: www.cairnrescue.com Go the "Browse The Shopping Mall" and you will find it under "Grooming Equipment, Toys & Supplies". They have quite a few really nice items that can be purchased. I love the Puppy Pockets.

Ok, I've looked at the pics of the Mars Tool and the before and after pics of dogs it's been used on. But HOW exactly do you use it? That is one scarey looking thing! Do you just brush it through their coat, or what? It looks very intimidating.

I have only used a slicker brush on my little guy, and I get lots of hair out with it (looks like mostly his undercoat), but he still looks pretty ragged.

What do you all use for shampoo, and how often do you actually bathe your dogs?

I have an 10-11 year old Cairn that was given to me a couple of years ago. I was taking her to a groomer. Someone told me to never cut her hair with scissors. Well, she had gotten really long hair, she's black brindle, sort of, and I let her go way too long as far as the groomer. I got the scissors and cut her mats out and before I knew it, I had cut her whole body. She has grown out now and looks much better. But I was just curious why you're not supposed to use scissors. I know there's a lot I don't know about Cairns. I love her to death but there seems to be a lot of maintenance required. I read the message about the undercoat and something else about a tool, and I didn't really understand what that was all about. I forgot what you called the process. Any information anyone can give me would be appreciated.

I alternate between wanting to do the grooming myself and feeling like using a groomer again. Our other cairn was taken to the groomer every six weeks but she appeared more like a Westie than a cairn. Yet the stripping sounds like a lot of work and with three young boys, I just don't have that kind of time!! At what age is best to start grooming then, either profressionally or at home?

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at everything I can find on the Mars Coat King. It looks great, I'm sold! It does look a bit intimidating though. Could someone please describe how its used?

Also, have any of you ever taken your dogs to a groomer who uses a hydro-bath? We have heard they are great for dogs with dry skin and most dogs love it. I guess it's kind of like a puppy jaccuzi!

In response to the shampoo question, my vet told me to use an oatmeal based shampoo. I only shampoo every other month unless they have gotten very dirty. Baths dry their skin out so badly.

Cheryl

• 5 weeks later...

Could someone pleaseexplain to me (simply) how to use the Mars tool? I have gone on to the sites suggested and seen a picture of it but it doesn't tell how to use it. Do you just brush the dog with it or what? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Well, I don't know how others use it. If I'm using it to do a fast cleanup on a Yak :) I start by just dragging it through the coat like a brush. I do this until it more or less comes out clean each time. This pulls some coat out, rakes a bunch of undercoat, and clears most mats.

The Yak usually then has a lot of wispy hairs on the legs and tail and chest etc. If I'm too lazy to pull them out by hand (using finger cots on my thumb and forefinger) I use the Mars tool to cut the hair (NEVER on a show coat).

To do that, I hold the tool in my hand very close to the business end (if you ever played baseball, the equivalent to 'choking up' on a bat). So far up the handle that my thumb can press against the curved 'teeth' of the blade. I then comb into the area with long hair, pull the head of the tool through until only the longest hairs are sticking out between the blades, and then I 'break' or bend my wrist sharply while pinching the hair between my thumb and the blades. This forces the long hair down into the sharp part of the the blades and cuts it off. Crude but effective. The tool is unwieldy on legs and tail, but it can still be done. I just can't bring myself to cut the head hair so that I tease up with a comb and just pull the long hairs by hand.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can control my puppy while I am trying to groom her? She will not be still while I am trying to hand strip her. She's ok with the brushing and/or combing but I really need to know how to keep her still while I do her ears, face and especially her tail and back haunches. She absolutely hates for me to touch that area and I am at a total loss as to what to do. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I'd suggest a grooming table. (example) You can also just buy a grooming arm and noose and use it on a handy table if you have one that is sturdy, stable, and a comfortable height. Vist the vendors at a dog show to see different types and sizes. Some pet stores carry them too. Having small dogs we get fairly tall, small tables and short grooming arms. Somewhat depends on how tall you are, too.

If you can get some help, it can also be helpful to have someone hold the dog so it basically can't misbehave. Really short sessions beginning and ending with a treat can also build better grooming behavior, at least that's what it says in the books.

I know a grooming table seems like a needless expense, but if you have room for it it is wonderful to have around and can be very handy. In addtion to regular grooming you can put a dog up for a quick check of feet (got a splinter?), search for fleas or ticks, brush teeth, remove a mat, clean the ears, use some rinseless shampoo to touch-up a male's undercarriage; we even use the table when grinding toenails.

In a pinch you can throw a tablecloth over it and claim it's a really tall end table :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for the tips. I have seen the cloth muzzels at the pet store and I thought this might also be helpful. Has anyone used one? Darcy tends to try to nip/play with my hands when I am tryin desperately to groom her. Short of hog tying her (just kidding) I think I will check on grooming table and arm you suggested. Thanks again.

Archived