CairnTalk

travel

We had to take a 4 1/2 hour airline trip, so at first I thought it best Wes be asleep for that time. The vet first gave us benedryl to try- but it made him hyper.

Then he gave us valium- 1/4 tablet at first, then- if it didn't work- another 1/4. Well, with the first 1/4 he began hallucinating. So that was that!

Then I got a product from PetSmart called Calm Down for Dogs. At first I was skeptical about using it and asked the vet for his advice. He suggested another drug, but by this time, I was hesitant to use either the natural remedy or his.

A day before the trip, Wes got the runs! So I couldn't put any doggie treats in the travel bag. I got new toys instead and gotten wes used to his travel bag so he could travel under the seat in the airline.

As the plane ascended, the travel bag started jumping around and he started gnawing on the sides. With over four hours to go, I was really nervous because the airline won't even let the dog stick its head out of the bag.

The stewardess was particularly nasty- saying that the other passengers might be allergic to my pet!

Anyway, I rode the whole trip with my foot against the bag to keep the dog calm.

I dreaded the trip back. Yesterday morning, the airport wanted me to keep the dog in the bag for two additional hours in the lobby. No way I'd do that, So we kept him Out in the security area for that time.

What a trip!

Does anyone have any tips for the next time?

Thanks.

Ellen

Gosh Ellenn, I can relate to your situation. Glad Wes and you made it okay. Last month we took a trip from the Midwest to CA, to visit my

daughter. We took Nicky in a plastic crate. He was nervous the whole

trip. Trucks scared him and he didn't want us out of his sight for a minute.

He would only go to sleep-when he was sure we were with him. But all in all we made it there and back. Not letting Wes's little head out of the bag? I think they could have been more considerate. Try to find a different airline that are dog friendly more.

Posey :)

Thanks, Posey. But I think that's the friendliest the skies get. I heard some airlines are not even taking pets anymore.

We shipped our crate separately and got it back in pieces, in an airline bin. In apology, we received a 25 dollar voucher for our next flight. And I contacted the crate company for replacement clamps which they promised to send free.

We used a sherpa carrier for in-cabin travel. But the dog was gnawing on the wooden bottom. I tried to cover the bottom with a pillowcase, but the bottom is fastened permanently on one side.

On the plane was a woman carrying a small white dog and a pharmaceutical bottle of ace promazine. She says she's flown five times with the dog and this drug knocks him out for hours! I saw her in the lobby with her dog in his bag. The dog must have been unconscious while his mistress was reading a magazine.

I don't believe keeping a dog unconscious is the answer. Makes me

glad that we drove. Even if the air conditioner did go out in the desert.

But when you love your puppy and want them with you, have you tried writing to the airline's office and letting them know what Wes had to put up with?

Posey

Some of the airlines who once carried pets are refusing to carry them at all. A while ago I remember Zsa Zsa Gabor had to go to court for letting her dog sit on her lap during a flight- and that was in first class.

They do have a dog-friendly airline but it only goes to certain cities. It can have six humans and 6 dogs per flight. But the cost is about a thousand dollars.

Ellenn, I suppose the best thing if you can do it, is to drive. I am

really suprised I thought the friendly skies were friendly to little dogs too.

As popular as puppies are and the owners that love them. If I owned

an airline I would smarten up. But that is them.

Good Luck in the future travels

Posey :)

In my experiences with my Cairn Terrier Sparky, I have not ever given him anything at all before traveling. Sparky has visited 10 states and goes sailing! I think you are not giving Cairns the credit that they deserve, as far as how well they do on trips. Throw out the drugs, he/she will be unexpectedly easy to travel with in my opinion. As far as taking he/she on a plane, actually I agree with the stewardess- Unless it is a very small dog that has been "jet ride tested" Fido shouldn't be in the passenger section.

From -Sparkysmom

The only way my airline would let my Wes fly would be in the passenger section. Other airlines treat pets as cargo if they fly with the luggage.

Maybe I'm feeling bad about closed bag travel because I, myself, am claustrophobic.

Archived