CairnTalk

Cairn Terrier

Guest Elby

I am considering buying a cairn terrier from a couple. They have both the father and mother. They had an ad in the local paper which indicates the dogs are AKC, FAMILY RAISED AND VET CHECKED. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW, OR ASK THEM BEFORE I CONSIDER BUYING THIS PUPPY?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INSIGHTS OR REPLIES! :)

I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A CAIRN TERRIER FROM A COUPLE WHO HAVE BOTH THE FATHER AND MOTHER. THEY HAVE ONE MALE LEFT AND HAVE ADVERTISED HIM IN OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER. THEIR AD INDICATES THE PUPPIES ARE AKC, FAMILY RAISED AND VET CHECKED. I HAD THE WIFE SEND ME A PICTURE OF THE THREE PUPPIES BEFORE THE TWO WERE SOLD. WHAT FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS WOULD YOU ASK? DOES VET CHECKED USUALLY MEAN VACCINATED? I SUPPOSE THIS IS ONE GOOD FOLLOWUP QUESTION. ANY OTHERS? ALSO, WHAT DOES AKC REALLY MEAN AND HOW DO THEY DOCUMENT THIS TO ME?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES. WE BOUGHT OUR LAST DOG A FARM DOG OFF A FARM FOR $15.00 FOURTEEN YEARS AND SHE WASN'T PUREBRED SO I REALLY DIDN'T GET INTO ANALYZING ALL OF THIS STUFF!

Please turn your CAPS LOCK key off, thanks.

See the links posted above for some thoughts and further links to questions to ask a responsible breeder. I think it's pretty rare for a responsible breeder to advertise in the newspaper - there are always exceptions of course, and naturally everyone claims to be that exception.

Vet checked can mean anything and usually means a vet has looked at the pups and they have no immediate, apparent health problem. Normal number of eyes and legs, heart sounds OK, breathing sounds normal, no obvious birth defects, etc. Some vets are more thorough than others on what they do for a puppy check, so ask. Some breeders vaccinate their own dogs but either way you should be able to review the records.

AKC simply means the puppy's parents were registered with the AKC as was the litter the puppy comes from. It means you will eventually be able to get a slip of paper from the AKC stating that the dog is a Cairn Terrier. AKC papers are a start, but they don't address the quality of the dog at all.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you for the information. This is a followup to my post on October 5, 2005 regarding the wisdom of buying a puppy from a smaller scale breeder. I contacted the couple who has one remaining puppy and asked if they would give a health guarantee. They indicated that if my vet found anything wrong with the pup (such as a congenital health problem) they would refund my money and take him back. When I asked for references for previous buyers of their pups they declined due to privacy. I think if I were a seller I would offer to at least ask previous buyers if they would mind me sharing their name/number but I guess that is her personal decision.

Secondly, when I asked what the vet had done for a vet check she indicated she had taken the three pups in for a basic checkup meaning heart, hips, eyes etcetera but she did not know if he documented anything.

Any advice as to how you all would proceed if you were in my position? It may be a moot point because she has someone else expressing interest but it may be useful to me in the future.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived