CairnTalk

KONG stuffing

Teri9672

does you Cairn love his/her Kong? I found some cool Kong recipes online I thought I'd share. Some sound really messy........................... :halo:

Most don't look very healthy either, but once in a while I guess It's ok.

Kongs should be regularly washed out - they are dishwasher safe

KONG STUFFING RECIPES

Reproduced with kind permission from the N.C.D.L

ICED KONG

Plug the end of the Kong with a treat. Turn it upside down in a cup. Fill it full of chicken gravy and freeze. Try Cat food as well.

WARNING - Frozen kong can get messy and are recommended for outdoor use only.

SPANISH KONG

1 egg, grated cheese and any vegetables your dog likes.

Scramble the egg and fold in the vegetables. Squash into the Kong. Sprinkle some cheese over the top and microwave for about 20 seconds to seal the ingredients. Cool thoroughly.

WARNING - Cheese becomes very hot in the microwave.

KONG AU GRATIN

Mix cheese pieces or cheese spread with your dogs usual dried dog food and press into the Kong. Microwave until the cheese starts to melt and bind the food together. Let it cool to a safe temperature. Use a cup to contain the Kong when in the microwave.

NOUVELLE KONGS

Smear peanut butter or Marmite inside the cavity of the Kong for a quick and minimalist alternative.

TANTALISERS

Cheese, Chicken skin, Bacon, Pate, Cooked lamb's liver, meaty canned cat food. - Use very sparingly and make sure this treat blocks the top hole so that none of your other ingredients fall out.

MAIN COURSES

Small dog biscuits, bread sticks, garlic bread, pizza crusts, carrot batons - These treats should be wedged into place. Experiment with different brands of dog biscuits and look at small dog sizes which are very versatile. You want to leave lots of interesting gaps. some biscuits should be harder to get out than others.

INSTANT REWARDS

Freeze-dried liver, cat treats, Chopped sausage, grated cheese. - These need to be small, flavoursome goodies. the second your dog nudges the Kong, some of these should fall out to get him hooked. If they are all dispersed immediately, its going to be a bit dull for your dog - so make sure you shake the Kong as you're filling it so some bits end up working their way into all the crevices created by the wedged biscuits.

BANANA-RAMA

1 fresh banana

Awesome!

I just signed up on the Three Dog Bakery email club. They are a national chain, but are not in every state. Their website is pretty cool, but I won't post it here so not to offend or break rules. Just google the name, you'll get them first. They send a newsletter each month with a healthy receipe and other good info.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Awesome! 

I just signed up on the Three Dog Bakery email club.  They are a national chain, but are not in every state.  Their website is pretty cool, but I won't post it here so not to offend or break rules.  Just google the name, you'll get them first.  They send a newsletter each month with a healthy receipe and other good info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love 3 dog :)

I have their cookbook and make the girls treats from the book. Peanut butter treats. The girls love them.......................... :wub:

Wow! I am learning so much from this forum! I haven't tried Kongs with my dogs yet...they don't really like to chew on plastic things so I'm not sure if they will like them. Both dogs are fans of plush toys and rawhides....but with some of these recipes, I'm sure they'd be inticed to try one!

Proud Mama of Zephyr and Cleo--adopted into the family Feb. 2005 from the local SPCA.

picture

My two love their Kongs too. We use the small Kongs and fill them with various things. I had been putting baby carrots in them, but one day Scout was on her back, holding her Kong with her paws, and a piece of carrot dropped into her throat...no more baby carrots in the Kongs!

I put a smear of peanut butter, or sometimes I take Canidae biscuits and make a mixture of cookies and water. I then press this into their Kongs. I bought some liver "spread" that you squeeze into the Kong. They really like this, but I thought it was very pricey ( 7 to 8 dollars) for a can of liver spread.

The recipes are so creative. I have only stuffed the kong with peanut butter and then the occassional doggie biscuit. Crunch finds it impossible to break up the doggie biscuit to ever get some out. I will have to try some of the recipes. My DH will accuse me of spending more time preparing the kong for Crunch than I spend on our meals!

How much peanut butter is too much in the Kong? I usually put about 1 tablespoon (!) in the Kong then freeze it, all in the hopes of prolonging the time it takes to get all the peanut butter out.

Thanks for the KONG recipes. :D

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I am getting a lot posted tonite, the Alpha B*tch is cleaning up the kitchen. She stuffs a Kong and a pigs hoof with Canidae canned food and freezes 'em. I love 'em!!! She says she learned it on this forum. I get so excited, I can't WAIT for her to leave for work. I go right for the crate.

She wonders how long they last. I'll never tell!

Woof!

Eli

Archived