CairnTalk

cairn

Guest Nabokov

I am the owner of a 12 week cairn puppy from Spain. "Chomsky" is as great a dog as I spected,highly spirited but very well behaved. Although I am not that concerned about his looks ,he is very handsome anyway,I am starting to wonder about his ears. The thing is ,one of them is pricked sometimes,but the other never or very seldom. Most of the time,he carries both down.Is it possible that he would never have his ears pricked ,or one yes and not the other. I would not mind if he has both down,like foxterriers,but I would not be that pleased with the second possibility. Is it to early to tell ? Can I do anything to avoid that he ends up with one of his ears pricked and not the other?. I would appreciate if somebody can give me some information about that. And sorry for my somewhat broken English.

Guest rottndobie

I'm afraid I can't offer you anything concrete as I am relatively new to Cairns myself and have never had a puppy - I rescued an older one almost 4 yrs ago.

Far as the ears go - this is going back to my Dobe puppy days... I can only guess that perhaps it is because the ear cartledge is not set yet. I know in Dobes it takes many month for that to happen. If you got your Cairn from a reputable breeder I would guess the ears will stand upright with more maturity. I also know that some of your other breeds with upright ears, as puppies they can tend to be down very early in life but do stand later.

Here's hoping someone with more knowledge then I response to your question..

At 10 weeks old, Crunch had both ears up. At 13 weeks old, he had one ear up and one down. Our vet said that that was common. That continued for several weeks. Then one morning, he had both ears up again. Crunch is now almost 6 months old and both ears have been up for a while.

Darcy had both ears down until she was 9 or 10 weeks old. Then for about 2 more week she had one ear up and one ear down. They have both been up since she was 14 or 15 weeks old.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Teona is almost 11 months and she still has 1 ear down :)

They were both up before she had her spay surgery, but after 2 weeks wearing a cone 1 went back down. Sometimes it seems to be up, but then it plops down again. It kinda gives her a quirkey look :confused:

31731220-P1010033.jpg

"quirky" is good, I think it makes her special! I think Teona is beautiful. (so does DH by the way! After he saw her pictures the other day he said when we try for #2, he would like to get a dark one, Kai-lee is more like Tabitha, wheaten)

I'm sure "Chomsky" will be handsome regardless of up/down/oneup-onedown! Just love him, love him love him!

Maggie

"quirky" is good, I think it makes her special! I think Teona is beautiful. (so does DH by the way! After he saw her pictures the other day he said when we try for #2, he would like to get a dark one, Kai-lee is more like Tabitha, wheaten)

Maggie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

awwwwwwwww, thanks :)

Just be warned.............Teona is "SOS" (Spawn of Satan) :devil:

her and Tabby are "GOOD and EVIL"

Teona has a very wild side, but she is much more lovey than Tabby. She's my snuggle puppy :wub:

Teri your Teona looks so much like my Dori, complete with quirky ears. Everyone that sees her loves her ears, so much expression. Ellie's ears are straight up there and have been for a long time. They are almost 8 mo old now.

Teri your Teona looks so much like my Dori, complete with quirky ears.  Everyone that sees her loves her ears, so much expression.  Ellie's ears are straight up there and have been for a long time.  They are almost 8 mo old now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, we have the same looking dog and the same name...how cool are we :thumbsup:

you know Toto's real name was Terry :whistle:

Teri, Teona is a cutie... I've always wondered from past photos I've seen of her if her ear was down or not. Now I know.

:offtopic: I didn't know Toto's real name was Terry. I love, what I call, "useless information".

*adding that tid bit to the useless information file in this somewhat cluttered mind.

I didn't know Toto's real name was Terry.  I love, what I call, "useless information".
Ah, well then you may enjoy reading I, Toto.

From the Amazon page:

Book Description

During the expansion of the Ventura Freeway in Los Angeles, Willard Carroll unearthed a leather-bound scrapbook from a site that was once a pet cemetery. To his delight and amazement, its yellowing pages contained the rags-to- riches story of Terry, the cairn terrier who played Toto in the enduring film The Wizard of Oz.

Reprinted here in its entirety, I, Toto traces the canine star's tragic beginnings (she was abandoned because of housetraining failures until trainer Carl Spitz took her in), her exhilarating film career (she made almost a dozen movies with stars such as Shirley Temple, Spencer Tracy, and, of course, Judy Garland), her days as the top-billed star with the Hollywood Motion Picture Dog Review, and her happy retirement in Southern California. Best of all, it offers the inside scoop on Toto's signature role, her co-stars, and the making of The Wizard of Oz.

Toto's lovingly illustrated scrapbook features 100 photographs and reproductions collected over a dog's life, including film stills, press clippings, lobby cards, movie posters, and movie memorabilia, plus personal snapshots from Toto's life at home. This unique autobiography is must-have for every fan of the classic movie and its equally classic canine star.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Wow... very cool, thanks Brad. I've got a good friend of our family who LOVES Wizard of Oz, I'd bet she's already read it, but if not I now know her Christmas gift.

Archived