CairnTalk

My puppy is surprisingly good! And a question..

KellyBean

After reading a lot of concerns from other people on this forum, I was concerned that getting my Cairn would prove to be a trip to hell and back. I've had Buster for about two weeks now, and he is doing exceptional!! House breaking was pretty easy, although we're not finished yet, he is learning quickly that going outside equals going potty. He has his occasional slip ups, but it's a two way deal; I have to remember to let him out first thing in the morning, or he will let the rug have it! He learned his name in the first week, and now he's coming when called, he stops when I yell for him to, and he even knows to hide when he's done something wrong. :)

The only real problem I'm having with Buster is that he tears EVERYTHING UP!!! He's getting better, but it's still not safe to leave a shoe on the floor. He's even learned how to get the corner of my carpet up! That is a mess for me to clean up everyday I come home. I've tried keeping him out of the room where he bites, but he just finds something else to destroy. I've been trying to give him chew toys as soon as I see him going for a shoe or something, but he often plays with it for a second, and as soon as I turn my back, goes right back to the shoe! (I'm telling you, he's smart!) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break this habit?

Thank you!

I've been trying to give him chew toys as soon as I see him going for a shoe or something, but he often plays with it for a second, and as soon as I turn my back, goes right back to the shoe!

:idea: Don't turn your back.

A puppy is a baby and if you don't want suprises, in my personal opinion, they need to be watched over literally every single second they are loose, or else be contained in a safe enviroment where they can play but not get into any real mischief. Prevention is so much easier than correction over the long haul.

While often practiced to extremes during puppyhood, tearing things up is an absolutely core canine behavior. It's the reason that chew toys are ubiquitous: if we don't provide them (and plenty of them) they will make chew toys out of what we do provide them -- shoes, furniture, plants, power cords, etc. Dogs rarely subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens and really have trouble understanding our peculiar notions about what is or isn't meant to be disassembled. To a puppy, it's all fair game! Buster sounds like a lovely normal rambunctious youngster who has found a good home. Puppies are a lot of work, but it can be fun work. They will reward you for your efforts a thousand times over.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

My pup, now 11 weeks, has toys everywhere. I just try to keep im occupied with something to chew on, rather than my shoe or a power cord. Try giving them a paper towl. i roll it up into a ball and my pup goes nuts, and keeps his attention longer than anytoy i can buy for him. he likes socks too, and since they are cheap it does not bother me.

Chewing can be cured rather easily with patience and determination. As I write this Max (ll months) is sitting on the floor next to me chewing on his rawhide bone. I found out he just loves those (non-greasy) pig ears, and rawhide bones. Ever since he was 4 months, when he started to chew on something bad, I sat with him for a while and held the bone for him. He was to little at the time to hold the longer ones, but when I got the size he could hold himself, there was no stopping him.

What a relief to crawl into bed and have this pup jump on the foot of the bed with a bone in his mouth. This is our nightly ritual until I turn the tv off and we both go to bed. They are wonderful little company!

The important thing is to protect them from something harmful, they are just like babies. Plus, teething causes pain so giving them a cold wash cloth to chew on for a bit it also recommended. (supervised of course)

Good Luck,

Melanie

Maxwell

Hi there ...

I can honestly say that we haven't really had the chewing problem with Meli, but I think it might be because we got a jump start on her from the time she arrived in our home.

First ... do you have a Kong toy or some sort of chew toy that rewards your little one for chewing what he should? A Kong is a rubber toy that has holes in it. You can stuff it with treats, spray cheese, doggie cookies, or whatever your little one will work for. Kongs are fabulous toys ... Meli will spend hours chewing hers - trying to get out the treats inside.

Second ... rawhide bones or pig ears are great toys that "treat" as well. Meli often brings her bones to us to hold for her! She just loves them. And they keep her from chewing other stuff.

Third ... there is a spray that you can buy at your local pet store. It is a training aid that smells terrible to dogs. We had to use it for digging, as Meli was digging up all of my plants and tree roots. I only use it as a last resort, but we've had success with it.

We also use the command, "OFF" whenever Meli is into something that she shouldn't be. You might try this first with Buster's meals ... until he learns what OFF means. Once he has that down (it doesn't take long), transfer it to other items. Meli knows when she hears off, that she is not to touch it unless we tell her to TAKE IT.

As for the shoe thing ... we actually gave Meli one of my husband's old shoes. It is hers to chew, wrestle, tear apart, etc... At the beginning, she was unclear as to which shoe was hers, but whenever she'd go for one of our GOOD shoes ... we'd simply take it away and give her hers. Now she knows not to chew ours, but that it is perfectly fine to chew hers.

I hope this helps. Good luck with Buster!

Am I understanding correctly that you let your little guy run loose all day? If that is the case I have one word for you...Kennel. George & Gracie love their kennels. Gracie even knows how to open her door and go in by herself. The chewing does get better. It takes watching them all of the time! Remember they love to please you. Try giving a treat when you tell him to stop and he does.

Archived