CairnTalk

Went to the dog show in Atlanta today

hallswel

They are having a show at the Atlanta Expo center and the ATC was a sponsor so I went and helped and loved it. There were not many Cairns but I still got to watch and learn! I think I will go back Saturday morning, hope to see some of the Atlanta people there. There are all kinds of vendors and the sell everything from the stripping tools to hats for you pup, The Cairns are in ring 12 and they will be early they are like the 3rd down on the 8:30 time list.

They have the show at the Atlanta Expo which is on Jonesboro Road. Really easy to get to.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

We've found that you can usually take your dog to outdoor shows. Most of these are held in large parks where dogs are welcome anyway. Indoor shows are a little bit different. Usually space is so limited they only want the competing dogs. Each handler usually brings usually brings a grooming table, a crate (per dog), a bunch of grooming equipment and a chair. Usually breeders bring dogs they aren't entering just to show them of. Some indoor shows even discourage this as space is limited. At outdoor shows, people bring more dogs and more equipment (bbq's and ez-up tents). Outdoor shows are also more spectator friendly, you can usually walk between rings (or at least on more than one side), whereas in an indoor show you may only be able to walk along one side of each ring. Of course now that fall is upon us, the season for outdoor shows (at least in the northeast) is coming to an end!

What fun! I would love to go to a dog show! Thanks for that webpage on information!

Proud Mama of Zephyr and Cleo--adopted into the family Feb. 2005 from the local SPCA.

picture

I did go and take my chair and sat at the ring where the Cairns would show. I took Sugar although she was in her crate or sitting on my lap the entire time. I got there before the judging started and had Sug in my lap and the judge came over to see her......she is such a show off, gave her kisses and wagged that tail.

I wanted her to get use to the sounds and she did. She ended up falling asleep in my lap. It was really loud inside and one of the 6-9 month olds wouldn't even walk around the ring. Just stood there in fright. I felt so sorry for him. Sugar did bark once but I told her quiet and she gave me the LOOK and then settled down.

Boy the professional handlers seem to win the most. Makes me wonder if I want to even try.

The lady I got our pug from was there and she told me Hammurabis sister Twinkle had 9 puppies. Can you imagine. Everyone was very nice I saw familar faces and asked some questions and got many valuable answers.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Hallswel, don't be discouraged by the success (and they don't always win) of the professional handlers, you'll be great. Our breeders show their own dogs and do very well. Both have finished several dogs.

Archived