CairnTalk

Can she see?

savannahsmom35

How many of you cut the hair that grows in front of your Cairns eyes? If you do, do you use scissors and how short do you cut it? Savannah's hair is all in her eyes and I feel like she can't see. I have been considering cutting it, but I don't want for her to look ridiculous afterwards! HELP!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I do trim Logan's but not too short. I keep a little fluff so that when he is butt up in a hole, he can have a little protection from the dirt and God knows what else he'll come back with :lol: He looks too precious when the bangs are trimmed but I swear he doesn't like it. I just use scissors and have DH hold him to avoid wiggle.

I did Max's the same as Logan'smom. As you can tell in my sig, Max's hair was getting pretty long. He had just finished swimming in the pond though too. :P It was amazing to see how pretty his eyes were. :wub:

max.jpg

Sheila - mom of Maximus

I trim the boys hair to keep it out of the eyes. I do it while they are sleeping!

Oh Bad Mommy experimenting on us in our sleep again!

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Actually, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The hair is supposed to protect our eyes when we are hunting VERMIN, and we can see just fine. I think the hair keeps dirt and stuff out of our eyes.

Now I have to sleep with one eye open in case my up-right gets any EYE-deas!

Woof!

Eli

We truly don't worry about it. We just wait until Darcy coat looks a bit too out of control and then take her to the groomers and let them take care of it. I have thought about trimming with scissors when she is sleeping too.

I would only worry about it if you see that the hair is causing any sort of eye irritation or eye infection.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Scout has the Cairn "bangs", but her hair never seems to grow...so I have never trimmed her bangs. Finch's, on the other hand, seem to grow overnight! I just take a little bit of her bangs, hold the hair up and trim away. This leaves the Cairn "bangs", but I can see her pretty brown eyes.

I decided to cut them last night! I had my DH hold her while I cut. When I was finished, he put her down and she stood there and looked around the room for literally about 5 minutes! I could almost hear her thinking, HEY!!! I can see again! It was funny but I sort of felt bad for not doing it before. I could tell that she was happy about her "hair cut". I was also happy with the way it turned out, still long enough that she looks like a Cairn and shaggy enough that you can't tell that they were cut, but short enough to see her brown eyes and allow her to see better. :D Thanks!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived