CairnTalk

Some help for a new mommy please?

Bailey

I've noticed over the last couple days that Bailey has only been eating a little bit of his kibble at each feeding, and I've been trying everything to get him to eat more. I've put warm water to sofen it, or yogurt, and still he only eats about a third of the half of a cup we put into the bowl for him. We feed him three times a day in the same place at the same time, and it's starting to worry me. The vet said that it's normal that he'll eat until he's full, and the importnat thing is that he's eating, but I'm still worried. Anyone else have any trouble like this?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Trista

Trista:

I think your vet is right. As long as she's eating that's all that matters. When she isn't eating at all, that's when you should keep an eye on her. Darcy did the same thing when we first got her. Now when she's had extremely active days the next day she might not eat all of her food in the morning because she is so tired.

Kate

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Sounds like he's still eating a half-cup a day. Doubt he'll be starving any time soon. He may go on and off his kibble as he goes through teething, also. How old is he again? I'm not a fan of indulging food quibbles, if there is nothing health-related going on.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

We went through the same thing. Our vet reassured us that she would eat when she was hungry. As long as she was eating something she would be just fine. He was right! Hang in there.

I too have gone through the same thing. I've noticed really strongly with Males- I don't why either- I can recall spoon feeding a Male Shep. puppy- LOL he had me! LOL

Keep to your feeding schedule, because you need to have the poo schedule! When they are hungary they will eat. I've noticed that when it's hotter out, they boys eat less.

It's when they stop eating at all that you need to worry.

It'll get better, Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Guest rottndobie
I've noticed over the last couple days that Bailey has only been eating a little bit of his kibble at each feeding, and I've been trying everything to get him to eat more. I've put warm water to sofen it, or yogurt, and still he only eats about a third of the half of a cup we put into the bowl for him. We feed him three times a day in the same place at the same time, and it's starting to worry me. The vet said that it's normal that he'll eat until he's full, and the importnat thing is that he's eating, but I'm still worried. Anyone else have any trouble like this?

Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is quite a bit of food - even for a puppy. I know that my adult, Shadow, only eats 1/2 cup per day (1/4 AM and 1/4 PM). With you trying to feed 1/2 cup 3 times a day - that is a lot of food. I would cut back to say 1/3 cup 3 times a day and see how that goes. How old is Bailey now?

I feed my dog 2 times a day, 1/3 a cup in the morning, 1/3 at night, same time. When he was about 6 months old, he went through a bit of a finnicky, I'm not going to eat all my food at the time you give it to me stage. But we just kept it up, and now he eats pretty normally (ie, he sucks it down). Doesn't sound like anything to worry about unless he's not eating his food at all.

It does seem that at times cairns don't eat or drink as much as you may be used to with other dogs. My boston eats on big sitting, and drinks loads, always has. When I got Toby, I was surprised at how little he seems to eat and drink.

Archived