CairnTalk

Rebel thinks big

rileysmum

While walking to pick up the kids from school the other day one of the other mums caught up to me with her large male german shepard. Rebel was so excited he wanted to play and chat, then worked those little legs a hundred miles an hour to keep up,he was so proud and kept looking at his new friend as if to say "I'm going to look like you one day",I'm sure he thinks he's getting that big, we couldn't stop laughing!

At school I was waiting near the gate for the kids, another mum came over with her little female maltese terrier, I thought, oh Rebel will love this little girl dog :wub: wrong! he started barking and I said "I don't think he likes her" but the other mum said "no no it's ok let them say hello" :( he bit her on the nose!(the dog not the lady :lol: ) I was so embarrassed, luckily I pulled him back just in time so it was only a nip,later as she walked passed she said to her daughter "see that cute little puppy it just bit Gizzmo on the nose" :shy: but she did have a smile on her face.

So now I'm worried to let him say hello to little dogs?we have started dog training and he's fine with the other dogs as he doesn't even know they are there,he only sees his treats!!

So any tips on how to make a friendly dog?

Thanks Deb

Scully hasn't really had an opportunity to be around other dogs but the few that she has - she seems to like larger dogs better.

Riley just had an "unusual" way of saying hello to the Maltese!

I think Rebel was just too excited to meet the dog. It's good to keep them apart until they both calm down before greeting each other physically...and when they finally are together, be prepared to scoop Rebel up quickly.....you can just never predict what dogs will do when they get together...some get along great, and others hate each other...just like people!

When we had our westies, they were happy with any dog or person....except Crystal did not like Darby the chocolate lab at dog training. She would run around and meet and greet everyone, and every single time that Darby would come to her, or she would get to Darby, she would bite her on the nose! I have no clue why as Darby never ever did anything to my dog, but for some reason, she just did not like that particular dog. Hopefully you will find it's the same with yours!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

I dunno what to advise! My Westie was the terror of the Midwest Arabian Horse Show circuit back in the day--she particulary hated a poor Great Dane that always showed up! Needless to say, she was kept on a leash. Such a queenie brat.

Now my pups love EVERYBODY but they play like hooligans and it intimidates some people and dogs. :whistle:

Our trainer advised that you should only let dogs meet when they are on leash and they should just get close enough to sniff the face. That way if they do react badly, it's just one quick tug and both dogs are out of each others face.

Darcy is little miss socialite. She greets EVERYONE, but her all time favorite dog so far has been the boxer in our puppy training class a few months ago. They nicely romped and wrestled around - it was cute. Darcy has always preferred larger dogs too. The only smaller dog that she really loves is the Cairn that's been in our training classes since March. They are just like sisters. You'd wonder if they were litter mates.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I think that Savannah has found her a boyfriend in her training class. It is a 5 month old black lab. The first time that she saw him, she had "happy pee". That is only the second time that she has ever done happy pee. Everytime he walks in the class, she gets SOOOO excited! It is cute.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

What makes a dog determine they like "that one or not" even from a distance? Since Roxie has been 10 weeks old, there has been this dog that is walked daily. Each and everytime, whether Rox is in or out, doesn't even see the dog (must smell them) she goes absolutely nuts. She is now two and will try banging through the window to get to this dog. I just don't understand. They haven't even met :confused:

I've always felt Kai-lee likes the big dogs best, I think it makes her feel really cool! I agree having them meet on leash is best, just make sure they don't get the leashes tangled or that might start a good fight! My good friend has a miniature schnauzer and they really don't have much use for each other...I think aside from the size theres a jealousy issue there.

Savannah is the opposite. She likes dogs around her size, maybe a little bigger or a little smaller. She has a chihuahua friend and a shi-tzu friend in the neighborhood and a lab puppy friend in her obediance class (only 4 months old). There is 2 BIG red labs in the neighborhood and I think she is intemidated by them. When they come towards her, she rolls on her back and surrenders!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Well, Saturday my husband and I took our 11 m old Sam out to a dog park for the first time...I was scared to death, b/c he hasn't been around other dogs in a very long time, and there were a lot of very big dogs there. He didn't try to pick any fights, which I was thankful for, but he looked a little overwhelmed (and one big dog was a bit on the aggressive side...the person should know better than to take an aggressive dog out to a dog park). He just acted like a kid that just transferred to a new school and has no friends out on the playground ^^;; Maybe he'll make some friends next time we go. I just want him to get more socialized for our training...one question: Why do they act so different on the leash than off the leash? Is it a territory thing, "hey, you're encroaching on my territory" on the leash? Because he was much calmer off the leash than on it.

The boys like pretty well everyone with a couple of exceptions. Smokey does not like boxers or one particular westie. Other wise they like almort everyone. If there is a person they don't warm up to I figure there is probably a good reason. I do notice that they are more agressive on the leash than off. If a dog comes into our yard and everyone is off leash they play pretty well.

After training last week Rebel was barking at the other dogs(he never does it during training) the trainer said he was frustrated and to let him play :( ,I was terrified he was going to bite some poor puppy,I know he can sense my fear so acting all happy and carefree I told Riley to let him play, while I looked the other way :whistle: The trainer also said to make sure the lead was loose, and it seemed to make a big difference to Rebels attitude ,any way fun was had by all, big and small and neither the kids or the dog realised how worried I was,I'm a very good actor :lol: so I guess a lot of the trouble was me!!

Archived