CairnTalk

Purina Pro Plan?

Bailey

Hi!

I found a post about dog food awhile back, but I didn't know if it was worth adding on to. (Sorry I'm new to this) But it was about dog food and it seemed like most of you recommnened Canidae, but a friend of ours recommended Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Puppy. Have any of you heard its quality? Purina wasn't on the list of approved foods, but I didn't know if Pro Plan was different. The breeder currently feeds them Canidae, but I'm in Boston and don't have a car and they don't sell it at any of the stores around here. I suppose I could order it online, but if I could find a comparable food around here that would be much better. Any suggestions?

Trista

P.S. I'm a new Cairn mommy, and I feel like one of those women that have to have the best name brand diapers for their babies. :D

Best,

Trista

The breeder currently feeds them Canidae, but I'm in Boston and don't have a car and they don't sell it at any of the stores around here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trista:

Ask the breeder to send some Canidae with Bailey- This way you can mix what ever puppy food you'll use with the current food for a gradual switch over- This will help avoid digestive upset. Some smaller independent Pet stores sell Canidae, you might want to try the Canidae web site and see.

I plan on switching the boys to Canidae at their adult food, but currently we're on Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy because that's what the breeder had them on. I didn't want to risk puppy loose stools:shock:

Oh don't forget the Photos of the new puppy! :wub:

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Trista,

Here's a link to Canidae's web page

http://www.canidae.com

I did a search of stores with area code 617 and found 15 in the area, some addresses shown were Boston, South Boston, Brookline, Cambridge etc. maybe one of those will be close to you.

We started off on a different dog food with Kai-lee and she was itching & scratching constantly, to the point where she chewed off all the hair in one of her legs. In doing some checking we found a lot of Cairns are sensitive to corn & wheat, (you'll find a lot of foods and treats are loaded with both) once we eliminated that from her diet her problem stopped completely. I hope this helps!

Enjoy your puppy & post pictures when you can.

Maggie

PS Kai-lee sends puppy kisses to Bailey!

Guest rottndobie

If you are unable to get Canidae (tho a lot of the on-line pet stores do sell it and ship it) I would opt for any of the other foods on that Approved List. IMHO ProPlan is not a premium food let alone a super-premium food. They use beef tallow as the fat source and doG knows where that comes from. They also use corn or wheat which can cause allergies.

Guest mrskti

I must admit i'm totally confused about the food too. I thought i was doing good feeding the girls Iams, and now seems like i've made a great error. The trainer gave me a chicken soup for the soul blah blah blah food, and i've mixed it with the last of the Iams....Man that's a $1/pound. I must admit, I usually dont even price things, but looking online you cant help but see it, couldnt tell you what the Iams goes for. I was at Petsmart today and looking at the different stuff they sell....is there anything there that's good??? BTW, they have flurrished on Iams. My vet tech says most of them are "yuppy" foods, her term, not mine!!!! I just want the best for them. Haven't seen the canidae anyplace.

Guest rottndobie
I must admit i'm totally confused about the food too. I thought i was doing good feeding the girls Iams, and now seems like i've made a great error.  The trainer gave me a chicken soup for the soul blah blah blah food, and i've mixed it with the last of the Iams....Man that's a $1/pound.  I must admit, I usually dont even price things, but looking online you cant help but see it, couldnt tell you what the Iams goes for.  I was at Petsmart today and looking at the different stuff they sell....is there anything there that's good???  BTW, they have flurrished on Iams.  My vet tech says most of them are "yuppy" foods, her term, not mine!!!!  I just want the best for them.  Haven't seen the canidae anyplace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Iams/Euk were bought out by Proctor and Gambol a few years ago. They downgraded the formula to make money. Iams USED to be a quality food but is no more.

Far as cost goes, you get what you pay for. Chicken Soup is a quality food with no by-products, corn or wheat. The only thing PetSmart carrys in the food line that is any good is your Royal Cannin(sp) - all the other foods are just junk IMO. Look at the ingredience on the labels and read these links - I have posted them in other topics relating to foods..

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

I talked to my vet about Iams since I had my now 13 year old Cairn eating it for most of her life. Guess the fact that she has made it to almost 14 years makes me think it can't be all that bad?? And, those 14 years have been very healthy ones :)!

He said that Iams is just as good as ever, that "rumors" were started to sabotage the buyout. His words, not mine.

I give my two half Iams mini chunks and half Canidae, both dry foods, as they turned up their noses at Canidae. Neither of them cared for Wellness brand, either.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I have to laugh, because I never thought that dog food would be such an important issue, but then again any time I've ever owned a dog prior to this my parents were always around to take care of these things.

I ordered a bag of Canidae, and also Bailey has a visit with the Vet Saturday morning so we'll also discuss it with her.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appericiate it. :D He comes tomorrow, and I'm just so excited.

Here's a picture from the breeder. I'll take more when he gets home.

post-1061-1125582389_thumb.jpg

Best,

Trista

Hi Bailey - I'm in Boston too...check out Skipton's on Mass Ave (past BU Meidcal Center & past ramp onto 93/Express Way - they carry Canidae. The #1 Bus runs down Mass Ave and both the Green & Orange Lines cross Mass Ave... :thumbsup:

Trista/Bailey - I just reread your post..congrats on the new puppy arrival! Like I mentioned in my last post - I'm also in Boston..and am picking up my little guy - Charley - on Saturday morning....! :D Looks like it's a Cairn weekend in Beantown...! I have attached a pic of him at 6 weeks from my first visit...he's 12 weeks now! Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

post-837-1125585197_thumb.jpg

Welcome to all the new cairn parents! Great pics! You both have beautiful furbabies. I know that you are both excited about the arrival of your puppies. Please keep us posted on their adventures this weekend!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Bailey and Charley are just absolutely adorable!!! Like I always say - I could kiss all the fur of them. :P Best of luck to both of you on your babies. Your life is about to be filled with tremendous love!

**Edited to ask about the Canidae

Do you use the regular or the Platinum?

We use regular Canidae as well. If you don't mind purchasing on-line with a credit card, that's the way to go. UPS even brings it right to your front door. No lugging that big ol' bag home. :)

Archived