CairnTalk

Food

Angus'mum

Hi all...I was just wondering what kind of dog food you feed your Cairns? Angus is still a pup and likes his food just fine (Iams Puppy), but I just wanted to find out what other people are feeding their dogs.

We had another dog named Maggie (Cocker Spaniel) that died on Wednesday. She was only 8 1/2, but got ill and went into kidney failure. Before Maggie, we lost our dog Jake last summer...it's been a bad year.

I'm probably going overboard, but I just want to make sure that Angus stays healthy and lives to a ripe, old age!

Thanks,

Mickey

Mickey, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Maggie and Jake. It's very hard losing a pet since they are so much of our family.

As far as food goes, we feed our two (3 years old and 1.5yrs) 2/3 cup of Canidae each day. I also add canned pumpkin, green beans, or some grape tomatoes (not at the same time!) with their food. They gobble it up!

Hi.....my feeding ritual is a bit complicating due to a dog prone to pancreatitis.

For my two Cairns not on special diet:

Canidae dry with a small spoonful of canned (Wellness, Canidae, Merrick) just to add some excitment. Usually 1/3 cup morning and night

Madison gets Evolve, reduced calorie with a lower fat content, gets the same amount as the others with the same small addition of canned for taste.

I do like the Merrick Senior for all of them only because it has excellent ingredients and a nice lower fat content.

Guest rottndobie
Hi all...I was just wondering what kind of dog food you feed your Cairns?  Angus is still a pup and likes his food just fine (Iams Puppy), but I just wanted to find out what other people are feeding their dogs. 

Thanks,

Mickey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iams is NOT the food it used to be. It was bought out by Proctor and Gambol about 5 or so years ago and the food has been downgraded something terrible. Back in the 70's and 80's Iams had a good reputation - then they sold out...

I am currently feeding Canidae which is a super-premium food. I have included the Whole Dog Journal's list of approved and not approved foods. Your best bet is to pick one from there and get a puppy forumla....

Here is a link to the Dog Food Compaison chart that gives tons of information:

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

APPROVED dry dog foods:

Artemis - Natural 6 Mix

Azmira - Classic

Back to Basics - Chicken

Bench and Field - Holistic Natural Canine Formula

Blue Buffalo - Adult

Burns - Brown Rice and Ocean Fish

California Natural - Chicken

Canidae

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul - Adult

Drs Foster and Smith - Chicken and Brown Rice

Eagle Pack Holistic Select

Flint River

Fromm 4 Star Nutritionals - Duck and Sweet Potato

Solid Gold - Hunden Flocken and Mmillennia

Innova

Lifespan

Limited Diets

Natural Balance Ultra Premium

Newmans Own

PHD

Organix

Pinnacle - Chicken and Oats

Prairie - Chicken and Rice

Prime Life - Adult

Royal Canine - Adult

Showbound Naturals - Lamb and Brown Rice

Timberwolfe Organics - Lamb Barley and Apple

Verus - Chicken and Oats

Wellness - Super 5 Mix Lamb

Wysong - Maintenence

NOT APPROVED dry dog foods:

Alpo Lamb Meal

Beneful

Bil-Jac Select

Cycle Adult Dog Food

Econ-o-Mets

Diamond Premium Adult Formula

Eukanuba

Excel Lamb and Rice

Gravy Train

Iams Lamb meal and Rice Formula

Kibbles n bits Home style

Nutro - Max Adult

Nutro - Natural Choice Adult Lamb and Rice

Nature's Recipe Breed Specific Formulas

Nutra Nuggets

Pedigree

Purina Dog Chow

Purina One Lifelong Health Lamb and Rice Formula

Science Diet

Science Diets Nature's Best w/ real beef (beef is 7th on the ingredient list)

Approved Canned Foods:

Active Life - Whole Ocean Fish

Advanced Pet Diets - APD Maintenence

Avo-Derm - Original Skin and Coat

Azmira - Beef and Chicken

Boulder Creek Farms - Ground beef

California Natural - Lamb and Rice

Canidae - Chicken Lamb and Fish

Eagle Pack - Chicken

Evolve - Lamb

Innova

Natural Life - Adult

Lick your Chops - Adult

Natural Balance - Beef

Neura Meats - 95% Beef

Petguard Premium - Beef and veggies

Pinnacle - Chicken and veggies

Precise Pets - Foundation formula

Solid Gold - Turkey and Fish

Verus - Turkey and veggies

Wellness - Super 5 chicken mix

Wysong - Maintence

Guest mrskti

Does anyone use the Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul??? My trainer gave me a 5# bag and reconmended it. I had never heard of it, but then I havent' heard of most of these foods.

I bought the chicken soup for pet-lovers soul and Wes couldn't digest it. That was about 2 years ago. I called the manufacturer for a refund.

Our Grace and Spike are fed ProPac for Dogs (Puppy formula) and seem to thrive on it. It was not on the list but the ingredients are high quality and has come highly recommended. Has anyone heard of it? It is in a purple and black bag. (dry food) I mix it with a teaspoon of beef baby food. They love it.

I switched my guys over to Canidae a month ago and I can't tell you the difference it has made in Tucker's skin and coat. I feed them 1/3 cup dry with a spoonful of canned plus green beans twice a day and they love it. Heck, the canned food smells good enough for me to eat!

Thela

This is just 1 website opinions. I have read allot on the 2 pages and really can't justify what constitues other than the obvious why some of the brands are listed NOT APPROVED !

hmmmmmmm, glad i read this post - I"m also a purchaser of Iams puppy - and didn't realize it wasn't the quality of food it use to be. Canidae seems like a better choice.

I would like to go with the Canidae, but I'm having a hard time locating a retailer near Pittsburgh, PA. I know I can always get it online...do vets usually carry Canidae?

Thanks,

Mickey

First, let me say I'm so very sorry for your loss's. Losing our best buddies is never easy. I lost my precious girl Missy, November 9th and it was very hard and still is.

Missy was 5 days short of being 17.

We now have Kramer another Cairn of course (they're the best) aqnd he is on canidae as well. I learned alot with dog foods when Missy at age 6 had Irritable bowel syndrome and then at 13 she became diabetec. So foods, fats, sugar, etc...

I learned from her. Kramer I'm very careful with. He eats the canidae food and there snap treats and that is it. So far he likes it.

In terms of Iams and eukanuba, if I had to I would choose Eukanuba over Iams

but that is only my opinion. The food issue is always sensitive, I guess we all have to feed what we are comfortable with. I know its a hard choice so good luck.

Also I was surprised to see royal canine on the ok list I read an article that was being made over seas and dogs were getting very ill from up. But again it was an article and now on the internet we just dont know what to believe.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Archived