CairnTalk

Road trip to Chicago this weekend

Tracy A.

Hi all:

I need some advice.

My husband and I will drive Cincinnati to Chicago this weekend for my brothers wedding. We've decided to take Mett & Bratt with (now 14 wks old)- ( my mother calls them her 'Grandpuppies').

It's a 5 to 6 hour trip normally, I'm sure it will be longer this time with the pits stops we'll have to make for the Boys. So any advice that can be offered on how to make this as easy as trip as possible would be wonderful.

We've had the boys in the car a few times, and did fine- no motion sickness.

I guess i'll skip feeding them the mornings we travel- I do have a small carrier for them too.

When we get to my mothers, she'll have a Crate in the guest room for us to use- and we'll be able to keep her dogs and ours seperate using her Dog Run.

Thank you in advance,

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Trracy,

I'm sure they will be just fine. I live in Illinois, where about are you going? I'm in the suburbs. Enjoy the wedding! I'm sure the pups will have a great time.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I also live in the 'burbs. One suggestion I have is to make sure you stop for a potty break before you hit 80/94 (still Indiana). They are in the midst of construction (aren't they always??) and it is a nightmare for several miles. Hubby and I just went thru that area this week and it took an extra hour+.

We used to travel from central Indiana up to the Chicago northern 'burbs quite frequently (about a 4-5 hour trip). We only had one Cairn then, Toto, and she was a great traveler. Probably because we did it so often. We did stop at most of the rest stops which Toto loved! All those smells!!

Sounds like you are all set at Grandma's with the crate and dog run. Bet all will go just great!!

Good luck and have FUN!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

When we travel the interstates we like to use a book called The Next Exit. In addition to listing services available at each exit, it also lists where the rest stops are. We always make a note in the margin about our opinion of the rest stop from the dog's point of view. They range from "GG" for "Good Grass!" to "NFG" for, er, no grass. For example, if you're a dog with fussy requirements for going on grass rather than rocks, I recommend you skip Idaho :P

Also, at rest stops be ULTRA aware of what your dog gets into. Very common to come across Very Bad Things to eat, such as chicken bones around picnic tables and worse.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

where about are you going?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My parents live in Northbrook- So it's a long drive---- Your almost to Wisconsin by then :shock: The wedding is in Long Grove

One suggestion I have is to make sure you stop for a potty break before you hit 80/94 (still Indiana). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, thank you for that bit of information- I forgot all about that. When we drove up at Xmas is was all ripped up.

if you're a dog with fussy requirements for going on grass rather than rocks, I recommend you skip Idaho :P

Also, at rest stops be ULTRA aware of what your dog gets into. Very common to come across Very Bad Things to eat, such as chicken bones around picnic tables and worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow Brad: Your Idaho trip sounds like something you'll never forget! :shock:

Thank you for the heads up on "stuff". They boys seem to have a radar system for contraband. I think i'll keep them on the short leash.

Question- When your on the road with the dogs, how much do you restrict water? Or I should say how often do you give them water.

I'm still waivering on the Morning meal issue. But one thing I am sure of is, that Nylabone is our friend- and Bacon bones give about 1 hour of peace. LOL

Tracy

I don't know what others do. We tend to offer water at every stop (bascially, we never restrict water) and do a potty break every two hours, more or less (with puppies). With older dogs we might plunge on for four hours, but frankly, requent brief breaks are good for the humans, too.

Idaho is quite nice, other than that the rest stops along our path were all rocks instead of nice grass. Or if there was grass, No Pets Allowed. Chicken bones and weird litter seem to be a universal, unfortunately!

p.s. Masterful use of multi-quote :thumbsup:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Yeah, I always give my dog some water when we stop, especially if it's a hot day. When I took my puppy at that age on a long road trip (about 11 hours), we stopped every 2 hours for a potty break. We usually don't feed our dog on a road trip until maybe an hour after we get there...he doesn't have much of an appetite while we're driving, anyway. But every dog is different. If you have a scheduled feeding time, try seeing if you can stay on it. If not, don't worry about it, b/c you'll get back on schedule when you get home :)

Glad to hear you're using a crate...some people have told me how they thought it was cruel of me to crate my dog on a long trip, but I know that the dog is more comfortable being in something he's used to (he sleeps there at night), and that we and the dog are safer because he can't wander around and distract us. As long as you take breaks for the dogs to stretch their legs, they'll be fine.

Good luck ;)

post-1051-1124987038_thumb.jpg

Maybe because we drive everyday, auto travel is no problem for Wes. He eats and drinks like we are in the house. We carry a water bottle like they have for hamsters in case he gets thirsty. Minimal spillage. Wes was hesitant to drink from it at first until my dh showed him how.

One thing though, I learned if the dog gets restless and whines, he probably has to poop.

We traveled from Miami to Arizona. Wes' favorite stop was a Mississippi park off the highway.

But airline trips are too stressful for him- maybe because they are stressful for me.

sounds like fun. I'm also leaving to go out of town with the girls by myself. It's only a 3.5 hour drive (I'm going to see my Mom) I haven't had to travel with the girls alone before.

We went and picked Savannah up from our breeder and had a 5 hour drive home (she was only 9 weeks old). We put her in a small crate and she slept almost the entire ride. Whenever she chose to wake up is when we would stop for a potty and "stretch your legs" break. She only woke up for us to stop twice.

I would recommend skipping the morning meal especially if you don't know if your pup gets carsick. Savannah gets car sick if she has ANYTHING to eat before we get in the car (including just a treat). We did give her some water when we stopped and she did fine with that. Good luck! I am sure that they will do fine!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I have taken mine on trips long and short since they were little. We stop every two hours and let them pee, poop, and drink water. Give them a treat when I put them back in the crates. I always feed them, I think it helps them sleep in the car. I also had doggy wipes, bags for poop, and bottled water.

You should do great!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Guest mrskti

Well we started off with an 8 hr drive when we picked up our babies, and then we go to florida a month or so later, so they are use to travel. In the car we dont feed them much, in the motor home we go ahead and feed them cause it's a lot smoother ride. We also use the drip water bottles that hang on the crate, it's really a good way to do it. We'll be leaving in a month to head south again, we're taking them to the Keys this time...that should be fun!!!

Ah! Northbrook, my hubby works in Oakbrook and oh boy long grove, we go there to shop! nice cute shops, plus there is a doggy store there too! Maybe take a peak if you have time. I love to shop in long grove. fun fun fun

Have a great time.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Wes was hesitant to drink from it at first until my dh showed him how.

Sally:

Per the above, the visual has me on the floor. Please tell me that DH did not actually show them how but instructed verbally?????

What a good daddy :lol:

Per the above, the visual has me on the floor. Please tell me that DH did not actually show them how but instructed verbally?????

Well, Logansmom "Wes' Daddy" DID ACTUALLY show Wes how! We called dh "Hamster man" for a long while afterward! :halo:

Well, Logansmom "Wes' Daddy" DID ACTUALLY show Wes how!  We called dh "Hamster man" for a long while afterward! :halo:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I missed that the first time- Now LMAO :lol:

Oh I needed that, it's been a rough week- Thank you for the Laugh! :lol:

Well- I feel better about the road trip now given everyone's advice. I've never taken a puppy- let alone Two in the car over an hour or two.

The boys get up at 5am with us, and wear out by 8am- They sleep til about noon- So we're going leave around 8am- Hopefully they will sleep the bulk of the trip.

Bratt's the vocal one, he whines all the time- Like he's talking. Mett on the other hand is very laid back and easy going. 6 or 7 hours of whining puppy would drive us insane- So fingers crossed-nylabone in hand!

Missyforever17: I'll check out the Shops in Long Grove, we'll have time to burn before the wedding.

Thank you

Tracy

Hi Everyone- We got back last night from Chicago.

Trip up was easy, the boys slept much of the time in the back of the car. We did have to let them sleep on the back seat, they had issues with the travel crate and I gave in.

I

glad your trip went well.

Teona only barked once on my trip over the weekend. She stood up with paws on the back glass and barked at 2 bikers we passed....... :devil:

Archived