CairnTalk

Doggy Day Care

efunk17

My Cairn Kona cries if he meets other dogs that he can't play with so I was thinking about putting him in Doggy Daycare so that he can at least socialize with other dogs. Has anyone tried Doggy Daycare, and if so, did your Cairn enjoy it or hate it?

Why not meet some dog owners personally and get to know them and their dogs. Perhaps arrange play dates.

All dogs are different as are all people. How would you feel in Human Day Care? There would probably be people you'd rather not socialize with. I think a day care situation may be stressful unless you know the workers or he knows a dog or two.

Sally, I am going to put my pup in doggy daycare from time to time as soon as he receives all his shots. I will probably spend some time there with him the first time he goes but I believe that he will be better off for it. He will get used to the other dogs and the caretaker so that when I absolutley have to leave him at some point (and that point always comes) he will already have a place where he feels safe and comfortable. I think if you trust the caretaker and if you spend some time with him the first few times he goes to daycare...he will be fine. I bet his confidence will grow and he'll even learn to like it. Good luck with your choice.

Lisa, it's great that you will be with him at first. I guess you can compare it with a child starting school for the first time. Good luck to you too!

I'm curious as to how much doggy day care cost. Our trainer started her own business and I just got a postcard stating that she does doggy day care and charges 25 dollars per day! She only takes 6 dogs per day. Do you think that is too much??? If she starts boarding them, I would considering leaving my dog there....she was a great trainer!

That's a good price, i board Cosmo for 50/nite and that can get pretty expensive when we're off on long trips. The place i take him to, though, is awesome, he loves it. It's safe, the have a cam that you can move around the yard online. There's a big dog area & small dog area. He has become a much calmer lil guy after socializing with other dogs. This place is very strict. There's a vet hospital round the corner, they keep up to date records on all the clients.

Archived