CairnTalk

How do you pronounce "Cairn"?

sanford

It always sounds different. Some people seem to say something that sounds like: "kayrn", or else it's: "keern" or "karen". A person with a british accent pronounced it "karn".

Can someone, (preferably of Scottish descent) give me the definitive answer? Thanks! :huh:

FEAR THE CAIRN!

That is an EXCELLENT question. I'm pretty sure I mispronounce it - and even though I'm not British I say "Karn."

My actual reply to what kind of dog is that is "She's a Karn, you know - the Wizard of Oz dog Toto." To which I get - Oh Yeah!!! :P

I'd like to know that myself. :P I pronounce it like CAR-N but my neighbor says CARRION like dead animals that vultures eat. :sick: I don

Tuff & Tippy

I've always pronounced it Care-N...

To add another pronunication, when I was in Australia, we visited the city, Cairns. I was pronouncing it my usual Care-ns and they corrected me and said it's Cannes. Ohhhkay... :)

Les...

video_butt2.jpg

Music Dog Videos - featuring Murph the Cairn, Oz and Gully the Collies and Idgie the Jack

Nothin' Butt Dogs - Picture Contest - July 2006 Photo Contest... Theme: Naughty Dogs... Submit Picture by July 30th, 2006.

At my work place last year, which by the way, dogs are allowed, a Scottish man with a Cairn pronounced it Keern.

Edited by Apollo8it

****Apollo****

imsleepysig.jpg

I am from MA. as well, and very familiar with accents-as Bradl can attest I am sure...My reaction to this is, it really depends on your accents and country of origin. I met a woman once from Ireland and she said KARN, and I thought it was cool, mostly because she had a brogue. But in America, we are taught to pronounce the AI in a certain way, in England, or Scotland they are taught differently.

I personally feel comfortable with Cairn, not KARN, or KEERN or any other foreign variation since that is how we pronounce Cairn here in the USA.

Edited by newcairn

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

I've always pronounced it Karen, but then again maybe that's why I have to say like Toto from the Wizard of Oz. My favorite movie of all times by the way. Going to see the musical "Wicked" the end of August....guess there probably won't be any cairn terriers in that one tho'. But, you think there would be by the title!!! :devil:

max.jpg

Sheila - mom of Maximus

We pronounce it Care-N (just like the link that BradL posted)... everyone that i've heard say it around this city pronounces it the same...

a

Care-N here too.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Guest Darcy's Mom

Thank you Charlie for confirming the pronunciation. I have always said C AIR N with the emphasis on the AIR. My husband on the other hand says KARN. It just drives me crazy. I have corrected him numerous times but he just pays no attention. I gues it's sorta like that song...I say toe-may-to, you say toe-ma-to.

Now I definitely know that I'm saying my dog's breed correctly.

Yep, I say it just like the sound clip from Brad's post. One syllable, not 2. Some people will repeat it "Karen?" with 2 syllables which I don't usually corrrect but proceed onto the "You know, like Toto?" and then I get an "Oh yea!"

I listened to Brad's pronunciation and have to LOL because that is what I think I am saying but my husband says with the southern drawl it gets a little more drawn out! That's a great question!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

It's one of my pet peeves when people pronounce it 'karen', two syllables. It should be care-n, all one syllable. Like Brad's sound clip.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I have to laugh :lol:

When I listen to Brad's clip I hear it like I pronounce Karen!! I must have cairn down right, but not Karen!! :P

max.jpg

Sheila - mom of Maximus

The key is Cairn is one syllable, Karen is two syllables. :)

Guest girliejr

I have always pronounced it like the name "Karen". Right or wrong, that is what I say and it is such a habit now I probably couldn't pronounce it any other way!

• 6 years later...

... and just when you think you've finally figured it out, we pronounce it as "Ken" here in New Zealand :lol::confused1::lol: