CairnTalk

Cold Weather Ability

rcbarker

I live in Colorado and wondered if a pair of adult Cairn Terriers with a heated doghouse can be kept outside during the day in the winter on sunny days? The temperature would be around 30-50 degrees.

Thanks,

Randy B.

I think of a Cairn as a house dog who likes to go outside for exercise, but I wouldn't likely keep mine outside during the day Maybe other posters can give you some different perspectives. This is just MHO.

Pam

I think of a Cairn as a house dog who likes to go outside for exercise, but I wouldn't likely keep mine outside during the day  Maybe other posters can give you some different perspectives.  This is just MHO.

Pam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, as a matter of fact , they were kept inside even as working dogs in Scotland. Most likely because the owners knew if they ever escaped thier restraint that they would be long gone unlike other breeds that would stay close by.......that would be my biggest fear of leaving mine unattended for long periods outside....the weather wouldnt be a problem for them.

I wouldn't leave my cairns outside either. Even if you have a fenced yard, they are meant to be indoor dogs. Additionally, they might start having behavioral problems like excessive barking and/or digging. :confused:

In my opinion, I would never leave my little dog outside alone for all of that time. After all, they aren't labs or shepherds, they are just little things and need the security of a home. There are just too many animals that would prey on these little dogs, they would be lunch for many animals. Even though they are "big dogs in little dog's bodies", they are still little and would be no match for large animals.

I agree with all of the above posts.

They are not bred to be outside dogs. They may enjoy the elements but they love the comfort of knowing their home is inside with the people they love. Even if it was for a few hours on a mild winters day....there are just too many "what if's".

I wouldn't advise leaving a Cairn outside, alone, for any amount of time...especially if it's really cold outside. Cairn's are "people" dogs and would be lonely and depressed if left alone all day...and then I think they would develop some behavioral problems form being left alone all day.

Hi Randy! I live in Colorado too, in Arvada specifically. What about you?

I take my dog to my parents' for doggy daycare when I work. I agree with the others, they aren't really outside dogs. My parents have a doggy door, (we can't b/c we have a house cat) and a litter mate to my dog so both dogs can go in and out any time they want.

How old are your dogs?

Thanks to everyone for your imput. I currently own two old labs, but my wife wants a lapdog in the future. The problem is that we both will still be working full time for about 7 more years and need a pair of female dogs that either can be kept in the back fenced yard or do well inside for the day. I would be interested in any arrangements for any dogs kept inside during the day. I work at a zoo and am very concerned for any of my dogs welfare.

Thanks again,

Randy B.

While I'm sure all dogs would prefer at stay at home parent, ours do great all day alone. We got both of our dogs from breeders who show (conformation) and both Brody and Mia were kept for consideration for showing, but in the end the breeders decided they'd make better pets. This was good for us because we got our dogs when they were 4 and 5 months old. They were already crate trained and could make it all day while we were at work. If this sounds like something you are interested in call several breeders in your area (or go to some shows) and let them know what you are interested in. In my area, it seems like all the breeders knew one another and knew who had puppies available.

Consider what you are looking for in a lap dog... Cairns aren't lap dogs and were bred to be more independent... i know that others will say that their dogs are very affectionate, but generally there are other breeds that may lend themselves to being indoors more and more docile than the cairn. You might find that other than the obvious size difference the lab is more of a lapdog...

we also keep our maggie in the pen during the day (if no one is home) is she is quite content... we do let her out at least every 3 hours on a typical work day... which luckily in the past two months since we've had her has been few and far between with my fiance working out of the house, and she can bring the dog to her new office....

a

Guest girliejr

Jack has been staying home alone since I got him! When he was really little, I would come home at lunch to let him out to potty (and he had potty pads also), but once he got a few months old, he could stay in a kennel all day and be fine. It really is a good thing because in his kennel, I knew he was safe and he couldn't hurt himself or get into any trouble in the house! He is older now, so I can trust him out of his kennel (sometimes), but kennel training is a great way to keep them safe and teach them to potty outside.

I do agree with everyone who wouldn't keep their dogs outside. I wouldn't either. Too many bad things could happen to them while you're gone! A kennel is much safer and the dog feels secure and safe as well. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Archived