CairnTalk

Puppy Prices

caesar22

I have been researching Cairn puppies for some time now and have decided to get one. The only thing I am concerned with is the price. From looking on the internet I see the costs vary from $500-$800. After finally finding a local breeder and meeting with them, they want $1000 for a 6 week old male. This seems a bit much compared to what I have read about the costs of the dogs. Could anyone give me some advice here? The breeders show the parents and breed the dogs out of their house. Everything seems legitimate.

Hi Caesar,

Good for you for doing your research! Someone here once posted the same question and the answers ranged from $400 to $1500 depending on the area and the breeder. You will most likely pay more for a puppy from a breeder who shows their dogs. You are paying for the guarantee of good lineage and genetics. Most of your hobby breeders will charge less, but you have to be very careful to really, really check them out.

Have you considered adopting a rescued cairn? They often have puppies or very young dogs available, they come to you crate trained, housebroken and spayed or neutered and the adoption fee is usually around $200. Here are two organizations you can check into:

http://www.cairnrescue.com/

http://www.cairnrescueusa.com/

Good luck!

Thela

Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

I have a correction to what I posted:

The puppy for sale is not "6 Weeks", it is "6 Months"

I paid $500.00 for my first Cairn and $550.00 for the second one.

The big price diference is in "show quality" or "pet quality".

Both my girls are "pet quality".

I paid roughly $800 for each of mine. Elliott has a wonderful pedigree where my other two do not.

I also would check out the Cairn terrier rescue but if you don't get lucky there and you find the breeder you're dealing with is on the up and up, go for it.

I was ready to buy a Norwich Terrier a couple years ago from a breeder when I found out she wanted $2,500 for the puppy! I'm sure he had a great family of champions in his pedigree but still....that price was outrageous for a dog to only love and not show.

P.S. It's funny how we consider the price before we buy a Cairn but after we have them they become priceless.

We paid $500 for our Piper two years ago. We paid $400 for Lucy 16 years ago. A local breeder here wanted $1000 for pet pups plus she wanted to do a home visit and we had to submit pics of our family with our first Cairn, etc. I thought that was a bit crazy for a pet Cairn.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I bought both my Cairn and Westie from the same breeder in the Mid-West who breeds Cairns, Westies and Scotties. Duffy (Cairn) was $600 and Mickey (Westie) was $700. Both have great pedigrees but are considered pet quality which is fine with me as I never had any intention of showing them. I think between $500 and $700 for a Cairn is within the ballpark.

Mike

Way back in the 80's, I paid $265.00 for my first Cairn from a breeder. Two years ago we got Scully from a breeder and paid $700.00.

I think the prices vary depending on the breeder, how often they breed and the quality they provide. Some breeders breed for quantity and their prices are low. A breeder concentrating on improving the breed with one or two selective litters per year might be more money but the dog is better quality. We paid $500 for our first Cairn but he died at age 11 of liver disease. I later found out this breeder knowingly bred and sold Cairns with liver disease. My current breeder charges $900 but you get a two year health guarantee, which I have never seen offered, and the dogs are top quality from good breeding stock. Quality is defined in two ways - pet quality means the dog has some faults that would be noticed in a show ring. This is different from a dog that comes from overbreeding (like puppy mills) and will have many health issues.

As for the home inspections, etc., reputable breeders and most of the rescue groups do this. I think it's a good idea to ensure the dog is going to home that is ready to properly care for the dog. Most Cairn breeders insist on a fenced in yard. They also like to see how the family interacts and how this will affect a puppy. If the kids are beating up on each other, what will happen to the new puppy in that environment? It's all for the benefit of the dog and that's what it's all about!

What's od is that I have not had any breeders reply to this post. I have read different things suporting the high price tag and others not so on the interent and here. I do not plan to show this dog nor breed it. I was told by the breeder that I must, per the contract, get it fixed within a certain time frame. Does buying from "hobbie breeders" support overbreeding and damaging the quality of the breed? I want a nice healthy dog but is it worth it taking the chance with a "hobbie breeder" in the long run of having to visit the Vet more than normal for this particular breed? What do breeders of show dogs typically charge for their Cairn's that are of pet quality? The breeder I spoke with made a point of telling me that they do not make any money selling puppies. I understand that but for a litter of 3-6 pups at $1000 a peice and a couple of bithches with high quality blood lines can be pretty lucrative. The dog we want has a great personality and a very good blood line but why pay so much? Could someone please answer that? I have the money "but" $1000 is alot of money for anything.

I paid $675 for Savannah. I got a one year heath guarantee, AKC papers, a puppy care kit, a nylabone (which she won't chew on) and she had already had her first 2 sets of shots and been to the vet a total of 3 times before we brought her home. I don't know what this cost, but it averages about $100.00 when I take Savannah to the vet each time so I imagine that it was $300.00 or more just in vet visits.

Our breeder asked a lot of questions when we got Savannah (about kids, house, fence, ect.). Our breeder still keeps in touch with us to see how Savannah is doing.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I want a nice healthy dog but is it worth it taking the chance with a "hobbie breeder" in the long run of having to visit the Vet more than normal for this particular breed? What do breeders of show dogs typically charge for their Cairn's that are of pet quality?

I can answer that with an emphatic no, it's not worth it. Tucker is a perfect example of the results of a hobby breeder. The breeder that I bought my first cairn from was wonderful. Unfortunately, she didn't have any puppies available. So I was put on a waiting list. One day I saw an ad in the paper, and I made an emotional decision. I drove the two hours to see these puppies that were advertised as healthy and seemingly so. I fell in love with Tucker and brought him home. But from the moment I brought Tucker home I have had to deal with his health issues, namely is skin allergies. He has horrible oily exzema, he's bow-legged, he has some warts now, yeast problems, sensitive stomach.......and he just made a year last month. I've already spent over a thousand dollars on vet bills and skin treatments and medicines. Don't get me wrong, I love that dog like the dickens, wouldn't trade him for a champion dog or a million bucks. But had I shown just a little bit of self-control I would have saved myself from a very expensive lesson.

Thela

Guest girliejr

I bought Jack from a pet store (again, I know!) because I saw him there and fell in love with him. I paid $325 and they gave me a kennel, puppy food, doggie bowls, puppy pads and a bag of treats! But it wasn't as much of a bargain as I thought! Jack had all kinds of "problems" as a puppy (such as worms, ear mites, mange) all of which were easily cured and his vet said it was normal in puppies. I did spend well over $1000 on Jack, his vet bills, and shots by the time it was all said and done. I wouldn't trade him for the world either, but I bet if I would have gotten him from a reputable breeder, he wouldn't have needed so much vet care!

Most of the breeders around here that I have seen in the paper sell their Cairns for $350-$400. I think it varies greatly by area, but that seems to be the norm around N. Texas. Good luck with whatever you chose, either way, you'll get a great dog!

I do believe it depends on what the market will bear. You are going to pay more from a breeder who really cares about making sure the dog is the best possible. All the time, effort, and research to get the best parents to produce puppies that have the best chance at few genetic problems is alot of work.

Typical you will not see a breeder whose puppies are regular sold as show dogs advertise them in the newspaper and they would not put them in a pet store.

I like dealing with a responsible breeder because you can go call them ask questions and yes become friends with a common bond.

I guess what I am saying is if it is a Cairn and that is truly what you want would you pay for to have the best? I did call all the breeders listed on this web site and asked what the going price was and they were much more than the ones in the newspaper, almost double. Of course my decision was made when I called one of the ones from the newspaper and asked if I could see the parents and they said they would just meet me half way at a truck stop....they were selling the pups for 500. I was very uncomfortable doing that so I did more research and finally decided I wanted one from someone who truly loved and cared about the breed so I paid double and would not have done it differently

And that's my two cents....

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I got Booker in April at the age of 4 mos. He originally was sold for $1200 (was to been shown), but the lady brought him back to the breeder (no testicles).

I found him online over the state line. Once I laid eyes on him, I had to have him. I laid down $100 and told the breeder to hold him for a couple of days. If I couldn't return to pick him up, she was to keep the deposit.

Paid a total of $600, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat............jan

jan

He who laughs last thinks slow.

What's od is that I have not had any breeders reply to this post. I have read different things suporting the high price tag and others not so on the interent and here. I do not plan to show this dog nor breed it. I was told by the breeder that I must, per the contract, get it fixed within a certain time frame.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most small "hobby" breeders don't respond to e-mail or message boards (in fact the ones we called were kind of suspicious of telephone calls!). I live in the suburbs of NYC and one of our local pet stores sells puppies (all kinds) for over $900 (including a few designer dogs). I paid only a little more for my puppies and received great dogs and the invaluable support of two great hobby breeders. Good breeders really make informed decisions about breeding and they try to make informed decisions about who they sell to. Expect tough questions from the breeders, expect to sign an agreement that you will return the dog if you can no longer care for it and definitely expect to sign a neuter agreement.

I really believe you get what you pay for. Cheap dogs are really expensive in the long run. I paid $900 and $950 for my boy and girl from a reputable show breeder (they are pet quality and I must spay/neuter them). They came with health guarantees, solid pedigrees, great temperment and great looks. I have had no problems with barking, aggression or housebreaking. Lovely animals, tho of course they ARE terrierists!

I live in California and a lot of the puppies out here were much more expensive---in the $1500 and up range. We flew out to OK for these guys, not because of price but because of availability and the reputation of the breeder.

As for making money, breeding and promoting quality animals is expensive. I used to breed very good quality show horses, and I sold them for prices people thought were quite high. I barely broke even. I did it for the fun and satsifaction.

Good luck, may your choice make you as happy as ours did!

Guest mrskti

Well I was going to pay $500 for Ellie, then we decided on getting two of them and she gave me $25. off each one (big deal) so we paid $475 for each of them.

this came from a puppy farm basically in TN, all the dogs where in big pens though, no little crates. So at least they had room to roam, and the guy seemed nice enough. I know, I know......I felt like I saved them!!!!

Guest posting as: Susan

Even though I am not currently a cairn owner (or shall I say a cairn doesn't own me, yet.) We do have a pointer that we purchased through a breeder. The price was high and we weren't actually planning on paying that much. But in the end it was worth every penny. We can call her any time of day and ask her questions and she more is than happy to answer them. She even knows the dog by his name and remembers every detail about him (ie: his coat, temperment, etc...). Every year we send her his birthday party pictures, etc. When I was quoted a price for a cairn by a breeder I wasn't shocked. I thought about all the time and energy they put into breeding and caring for their dogs. It takes a lot to bring these bundle of joys into the world. :halo:

After finally finding a local breeder and meeting with them, they want $1000 for a 6 week old male.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize that you asked about the price but I would like to raise another issue: the age of the pup you mentioned, i.e., six weeks old. Is the local breeder you met suggesting the sale of six week old pups?

The tender age you mentioned in your post sent me to the web to do a bit of research. Six week old pups are very young.

The AKC' webpage listing Responsible Breeding Steps indicates 8 to 10 weeks old pups are in the age range to be sold. Many breeders would say that 12 weeks is a reasonable minimum age.

Sincerely,

Sean

Attachment:

AKC: Responsible Breeding Steps

19 - Wean Puppies from their Mother Most puppies begin the weaning process at about three weeks of age. You can start them off by offering a pan of formula in place of their mother's milk. Next, replace the formula with a combination of thin cereal and formula. Hand-fed puppies may be removed from the bottle, and meat or high quality canned dog food may be offered in addition to the cereal/formula mixture.

At five weeks, delete the cereal and replace the formula with a solution of equal parts evaporated milk and water. A high-quality dry puppy food can be mixed into the meat and canned food.

To avoid digestive upsets, be sure to introduce all changes in food or feeding schedules gradually.

20 - Find your Pups Loving Homes

A responsible breeder makes sure that every single puppy goes to an owner who will provide it with the same love and devotion for life that the breeder has provided for the first eight or ten weeks. This means careful screening and evaluation of each person or family interested in getting a puppy.

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions and suggestions. We have decided to go with this breeder and pay the asking price. The breeder is a recommended breeder from this site and other sites and they offer everything that is required of a good breeder. I have many friends that think I am "stupid" for spending this kind of money on a "pet" but I think otherwise. I do not think of a dog as just a pet. If that were the case then I would go to the local shelter. I have wanted a pure breed dog since I was a kid and I do not like to settle for second best. I am not saying that other dogs are second best buyt I do not like to take chances when it comes to that. I am not concerned with papers or registration. What I am concerned with is family traits and the health of the dog. I can feel confident that with proper care this dog will live a long and happy life. I will post pics as soon as I can. Again thanks to everyone for your posts. :D

Yes, I too gasped when I paid $1,000 for Murphy a 5-month-old female. But she is worth every penny!! Her parents, grandparent, and BEYOND were all championship show dogs. The breeder (a professional breeder & international show judge) tried her out in the show ring a few times but she didn't show as well as Murphy's mom. That's why the breeder waited 'til Murphy was "older" so she could have a better idea of how she would do in the show ring. So, the breeder decided to offer her as a pet. We DID have the option to show her (and not spay her) and were told she would do quiet well. But that's not our thing. We just wanted a pet. So, we took Murphy home, spayed her, sent proof of spay to the breeder & received $100 back! Good breeding shows! Murphy is a calm, serene, beautiful dog (now 2 years-old). She is "used to" being handled by vets & groomers. She carries herself beautifully, is virtually problem free, handled obedience training well & is a joy in our home! Three months later we adopted Trapper from our local Cairn Club Rescue group. We donated $300 for him. He has Luxated Patella (loose kneecaps, a problem with some Cairns) and is very energetic, seems not to have had any obedience training. But I may get him into agility work, after obedience school. He's clearly not show quality. But he, TOO, is a joy. DO NOT buy from a "backyard hobbiest" or a pet store. Keep doing your homework. Deal with reputable breeders or the local rescue group. Good luck!

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

We bought our Rick and Elise from a local breeder for $275.00 each. This is a breeder who raises puppies for sale to a broker who then sells them to pet stores. They are great little dogs (aren't all Cairns?), complete with AKC registration and up - to - date shots. We weren't looking for show quality dogs, just great little companions....and that's exactly what we got. :P

Archived