CairnTalk

Need Advice taking Cairn on Vacation:

Posey

Next month we are going to load up our car, with our Cairn and us and go

to California to see kids and grandkids. We want to take Nicky with us-need advice on how others do this. We will be staying at motels. Any advice on that? Also any all around advice you think would help us on this first time adventure.

Posey :?

Posey,

First, be sure you have some sort of proof of Nicky's shots with you. When traveling in a car, it's really safest for a dog to be riding in a carrier in the back seat. They also make a little car booster seat for dogs, but use that in the back seat also (think front seat airbags!).

When I'm staying at a hotel with my dog, I make sure to leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door at all times. I do without maid service, because I would never, ever want to take a chance on a maid opening the door and accidently letting the dog out if she's in there without me for some reason.

Otherwise, just be sure to take lots of toys and treats. Never let him off the leash for any reason, and be safe. :)

Susan

We love a book called "The Next Exit" -- it's great! It lists each interstate exit and what services are there. It also lists rest stops. It makes planning ahead for rest stops and lunch breaks very easy. We mark each rest stop we use with how good they are for potty breaks. G2 for Great Grass :) or NG for No Grass :( I'm sorry to say the rest stops in Idaho are not very popular with our crew. Too much gravel!

Most dogs are good, and patient, travelers. We find that regular rest/potty breaks are good for the dogs and good for us too.

Susan's suggestions are right on. We have friends who have been in an accident with dogs in the car and the crates saved the dogs without doubt. Travel safe and secure and take no chances at motels. Also, keep a close eye on the pup at rest stops. Our oldest girl can target an ancient fried chicken bone by a picnic table from a hundred yards away. We also pay close attention to the pavement where we get out. There are occasionally pools of oil or antifreeze so don't let Nicky taste anything exotic on the ground.

Most of all, enjoy your trip. It's a blessing to have your best pal(s) with you on the road, and it's really quite easy. All our guys love travelling because of all the new sights, sounds, and most especially, smells.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Bradl and Susan, I really appreciate the advice you two have shared with me about vactioing with a Cairn. And they were practical things that people traveling with their pet need to know.

Thanks

Posey :)

Archived