CairnTalk

Cairn puppy in southern NH.

ddsmds

We are looking for a female pup in southern NH area. one of the breeders we found does have a nice website and also breeds German Shepherds but they do not show up in the CTCA search. Is this a big problem? What does this mean?

Also, how much is a reasonable price?

Just looking for a great pet. We considered norfolk/norwich but they are so hard to find and so expensive.

We have a 10yr old golden who still has plenty of fun with our daughter's 2 yr old golden.

answer via email if you need more specifics on the breeder or any other guidance on finding other breeders in our area.

Thanks,

Bear in mind that while this site is hosted by the CTCA, I am not speaking FOR the CTCA. My opinions only.

The breeders listed by the CTCA are CTCA members who ask to be listed. I think you can scarcely go wrong with those listed. On the other hand, some excellent CTCA member breeders choose NOT to be listed for a variety of reasons - perhaps they breed very infrequently or they get swamped by the volume of email and phone calls that listing can generate.

Likewise, some listed are scarcely active breeding, but ask to be listed so that they can perform breed education. (I will also note that many are more comfortable doing that over the phone and in person, as opposed to online - where they may not be comfortable - something to keep in mind if email inquiries seem to go nowhere.)

I give credit to breeders who are members of the parent club for their breed and would wonder a bit at why a breeder might not be - but members retire or lose interest or take sabbaticals and so on - so there could be many reasons why someone perfectly respectable might not be either listed or a member.

In the end it comes down to are they responsible breeders or not. Personally, I look for breeders to be active in showing and working (obedience, agility, earthdog) their dogs. If not personally, through their 'puppy people.' Therefore I find the best place to get to know who the breeders are and 'how' they are is go to shows and observe and chat. You also can see what kind of dogs they like and are breeding.

An added advantage is making contact with a number of Cairn people who know other people and so on. You can often find out if there are borderline or worse situations to avoid. Those who do rescue work can usually tell you where many of the local rescue dogs originate - those would be places to avoid.

My final recommendation is to meet with more than one breeder if you can. You may simply find that one is a better 'fit' for you. I like breeders who want to always know what's going on in the lives of the dogs they breed - who become part of an extended family.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

We searched high and low in our state and could not find a litter available from a reputable breeder on our preferred timeline. The CTCA secretary helped us by putting out the word that we were responsible folks with a fenced yard, understanding of terrier temperment and adequate time to properly raise puppies looking for companion animals and eventually we heard about a litter out of state, raised by dog show folks/club members. We had to wait until age 12 weeks for them to sort the litter by show and "pet" quality and we had to do planes/trains/automobiles to go get them, but was it worth it. We got attractive, well bred healthy animals with superb temperments. Also we had to sign a spay/neuter contract, and got health guarantees, signs of a responsible breeder. These breeders did not have a website.

You might try the club breeder map and e-mail breeders in New England and ask for referrals if you find the people you contact do not have puppies--they probably will be glad to pass along info.

• 1 month later...

Dear DDSMDS:

My 6month old - little Digger - was purchased by <snip>

Edit: Post edited per forum rules. Contact posters directly and off-line to discuss specific breeders.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm from NH also searching. I found the same breeder that also breed shepherds. Did you end up finding a good breeder here?

Thanks for your help,

Yog70

I found some breeders on the net and emailed them. It is easier to track a cairn down in the UK with us being a smalier country and there are plenty of breeders around. I got Gem from a show kennel about 15miles from home. she is three years old this month. I didn't want a puppy this time as I work three days a week so i thought an older dog would be easier to take on. She is an absolute "GEM" too I couldn't have found a prettier nice natured little Cairn :wub:

I wish you lots of luck in finding your little Cairn :thumbsup:

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

After some research I had real concerns about the one you found.

The breeder I found was awesome and we love our Riley.

Unfortunately she prefers to be unlisted and i promised not to reveal her without her permission, so I will get in touch with her and see what she wants to do.

We've had ours for a little over a year and he shared our home with our 11 year old golden(Taylor) until we had to be put him down last month with advanced lung cancer.

That was one of the worst things I've ever had to do, but Riley made the whole experience much more bearable for us all.

We've always loved our goldens, but honestly, i don't know how we ever lived without Riley.

He doesn't dig except on the bed or sofa which is harmless, lets us hug him to death all the time and plays fetch like there is no other reason to live.

He dominated our golden and our daughter's golden(Ellie), but Taylor would make it clear when enough was enough. Both goldens would yield to Riley for most things like the water bowl, or who goes first, who get's what seat, etc.

He is actually a bit more relaxed now that he is an only dog which I attribute to competition. He always wanted the toy Taylor had or ice cube or just about everything.

We worked on that a lot, but it's not a problem now (that is until we get another Cairn !)

I'll get back to you privately if the breeder give me the go ahead.

and the others i found in the NH area.

Gem is the grey brindle. Lucy the blonde cairn on my Avator passed to the bridge on August 24th aged 12 yrs. we had her from a pup she was such a little sweatheart :wub:

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

DDSMDS - Thank you for letting me know. I didn't get a good feeling from the breeder's short emails, so I was hoping that you would reply. I look forward to hearing back from you about the breeder you found.

DDSMDS - Janet - I'm sorry for both your losses.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I thought I had sent you the info. I just sent it now so check your inbox.

No breeder postings allowed in public and please do not distribute the contact info.

Good luck,

Dave

Archived