CairnTalk

Loss of my 14 year old Cairn

Mama Kim

I'm new to this forum. I was a Cairn owner for nearly 14 years. We had our Lucy put to sleep this past Friday due to kindey failure. :angel: She had also been treated for Cushing's disease for the past two years. She was the friendliest little dog. I definitely want to get another Cairn. I'm just not sure when I'll be ready for another dog. Anyone else been through this and how did you cope with your loss? I also have three young boys who miss her dearly. Thank you.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Kim,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I lost my first cairn, Sydney, to heart failure when she was only 13. I was devastated. I am single and live alone, and I got another cairn quickly because I couldn't bear to be alone. It made the loss so much more intense to come home to an empty house. I felt guilty at first when I got Nikki, like somehow I was betraying Sydney to do that, but I think she wouldn't want me to be alone or unhappy and would have approved. I don't feel that I love Sydney any less for also loving Nikki. I still have Sydney's ashes and picture right here on my desk and I miss her, but Nikki has been a joy to me too.

It takes a while to not compare them and to accept the new cairn for themself. Each cairn has their own unique personality, but there are some things that they all share in common too. Time heals, they say, and it helps to have another little furry body to hug. You'll know when the time is right to get another.

Take care...Susan

Susan, thank you so much for your reply. I shouldn't feel so alone without her since I am married and have three boys, twins who are 8 and a 12 year old. But Lucy was my first baby and my constant companion. It's early. I haven't even gotten her ashes back yet but I really miss the companionship. I guess I'm feeling guilty too that I'm even thinking about another cairn already. No one will ever replace Lucy in my heart. But especially with the kids in school all day and my husband at work, I feel so lonely without her. I keep thinking another dog would help to fill that void. I really appreciate your kind words. Kim

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hello Kim, Accept my sympathy on the loss of your dear little Cairn companion. But you know what? I firmly believe that you will see your pet again. And hold it close to you and love it. So just know that this

is a temporary separation. Which it is. If you want another little puppy to love and cuddle when you feel it is the right time; get one and love it, because love is not limited. The more we give it away the more we have to give.

Posey

Posey, thank you too for your kind words. I firmly believe I will see her again someday but for now I miss her more than words can even say. She was my best friend and companion and I never felt alone when she was around. I just can't believe she's really gone.

Hi Kim; When we first suffer a loss; nature is kind and puts us in a

state of disbelief. It will help us to cope a llittle better in the future. You loved your friend Lucy very much and she returned that love. Be patient with yourself-allow nature to help you to adjust to your loss. And know that you will see your beloved friend again. And in believing that fact; as you grieve you will be able in time, to reach out to love a puppy again.

Take care,

Posey

I'm new to this forum. I was a Cairn owner for nearly 14 years. We had our Lucy put to sleep this past Friday due to kindey failure.  :angel:  She had also been treated for Cushing's disease for the past two years. She was the friendliest little dog. I definitely want to get another Cairn.  I'm just not sure when I'll be ready for another dog. Anyone else been through this and how did you cope with your loss? I also have three young boys who miss her dearly. Thank you.

Dear Mama KIm, I know exactly how you feel. We lost our 15 years old "Buster" yesterday. He was old and didn't have much of a quality of life. He was hit by a car when he was younger and had developped arthritis from his broken pelvis. We had a very difficult decision to make and we feel guilty about it. We are not ready for an other dog yet but when we will be, we will get an other cairn that is for sure. Now we have to cope with an empty house...

I wish you well :|

Roger

Oh Roger, I am so sorry. But don't feel guilty about your decision. You did the right thing. Many people can't bring themselves to help their friends go. The fact that you were strong enough to, says alot about how much you loved him. I know how much you miss your little Buster because my heart aches every day for Lucy. But I know she didn't understand and was scared because she was so sick. I just couldn't put her through all of that any longer. Our house is so unbelievably quiet without her but we have lots of good memories. After almost two weeks, I can actually think forward to getting a new cairn puppy. I will never forget Lucy, she will always be in my heart and mind, but I know she wouldn't want me to be this sad forever. Treasure your memories of Buster. Cairns are just the most wonderful, loyal little dogs. I wish you lots of luck too. Kim

• 5 weeks later...

WE lost our 12 week old yesterday to a car accident.

Our first family dog...we only had him for a month but in thst short time he won our hearts and convinced us the breed is the best!

My family including kids 5 and 11 are grieving. How soon to get another...part of me says another will help us heal but also part of me says we need to get over Rocky.

And yes, there is a guilt related to so quickly betraying our love for the litle guy we losy yesterday with another.

I can't believe how much we miss him. :cry:

Greg, that is so incredibly sad. I am so sorry for your loss. These little dogs sure have a way of getting under your skin, don't they? I hope you and your family are able to work through your grief and in time, get a new puppy.

Six weeks post losing our dog (who's birthday would have been yesterday) I am still sad but coming to terms with her absence. I will never forget her but we are starting to move on. We planted a beautiful "Lucy" garden with our boys as a remembrance of her. And we will bring our new cairn puppy home on June 14th, a little over two months after Lucy's death. I hope it's not too soon.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. They are comforting.

This weekend was not easy. Very painful for all of us, the loss of a puppy is sheer tragedy...the pain unmistakable.

The days don't get better but we will move on somehow...and in time we hope it will improve.

Our daughter would like another as soon as possible and we will follow her lead. While a new puppy cannot replace Rocky, I know it will help us all continue our love of Cairns and form a new and healing relationship with another dog.

I'm in NJ, can anyone recommend a good place to locate a Cairn puppy??

Thanks again all, we appreciate your support very, very much.

I lost my 3year old cairn Speck 2 years ago in April. He was hit by a car 5 weeks after I had my child. In some ways it's good to wait. . But sometimes I think that I waited too long. It has made the greiving process go slower and more painful because we decided to wait. I felt more alone in the house with just me and the baby.We might be looking at a cairn this weekend and I really am excited to see this little boy dog and I know that my son will play with it as soon as we get there. Nothing fills a hole like a cairn ( or digs one for that matter). Good luck and don't read any James Herriot for now.

Archived