CairnTalk

is my Cairn turning color-- at 6 years old?

Pepandfriend's mom

Hi, I notice that my six-year-old Pepper is starting to have some splotches, about 2 inches wide, of gray fur in his black coat. I don't think it is age, but I do wonder if my beautiful black Cairn could be becoming a beautiful brindle Cairn! :D Is this a little late for color changes, or do Cairns keep turning coat colors during their lives? Or maybe he really is going gray. :shock: Any comments or experience?

Pam

Cooper, who is a red brindle, has been changing to darker colors. It really shows up once I used the Mars on him. Last night I noticed his tail is looking like a burnt matchstick...the black tip has finally shown up - it only took two years!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Pam,

My first much loved Cairn terrier girl Missy was all solid black. She never turned no other color except the gray when she reached about 7 years old. It started alittle on her back then her face around the eyes. Her Dr would call it snow not grey LOL. Don't worry if the color is due to age your gal is still very young. Missy, even thought she did get some grey early she lived to be 17! Here is Missy when she was 16 then as a youngster

post-857-1119390023_thumb.jpg

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I think it is so common for them to change but I thought they usually turned dark. My breeder told me Rebel would get a darker red but he shouldn't get lighter. There is always the possibility he could turn dark because of the brindle in his lineage. Only time will tell.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Do most Cairns turn gray when they get older? I think they look very dignified in gray (Missy's face looks cute with the light outline around her eyes).

Liddy is a brindle and I think she's getting darker even though I've been trying to convince her that red would be a beautiful color for her coat....

Archived