CairnTalk

Yipppeeee!

jansop

I went to the vet today so Booker could get some more shots. BTW, I changed from the original vet.

The vet said that Booker's testicles were definitely where they were suppose to be. As some of you may know, undescended testicles are a risk for cancer.

Also, the vet teetotally disagreed about using Revolution. He highly recommended Frontline. Nope, I didn't buy any from the vet, he didn't have any in stock today. I'll get it elsewhere.

The vet asked me if I wanted Booker to be a stud. Nah, I didn't get him to breed. The vet said he knew someone who had a female cairn and wanted contact with a male owner. Remember a couple of weeks ago I talked to a cairn (male) owner at Lowes. I got the owners phone number.

Yes or No??? Should I contact that owner of the male cairn to see if she's interested? Or should I mind my own business?

Just wondering............jan

jan

He who laughs last thinks slow.

Hi, congrats on the descent of the "jewels." Are you planning on showing Booker? If not, neutering virtually eliminates the problems of testicular and prostate problems. Having both descended also makes neutering easier and cheaper.

If you didn't get him to breed, then, believe me, you're life will be a lot easier without his becoming a stud. Done right, stud management is not what it's cracked up to be.

With breeding stock in purebred dogs, it is especially important that you at least do some genetic and other testing to ascertain the health of the dog b/c although Cairn terriers are generally healthy dogs, they are not free of some of the genetic minefields out there. And even the most careful breeders will have to deal with them at one time or another. GCL (a fatal disease in puppies), CMO (a painful but not uncommon problem in young Cairns), luxating patellas, and Ocular Melanosis-- an eye problem found ONLY in Cairns that can lead to a secondary form of Glaucoma), and other problems. Temperament is something that is bred, too-- and often overlooked.

These are all things to consider. Careful consideration comes into play when a breeder selects a stud. Would the mating improve the breed and maintain its soundness? Would the breeder who would want to use your Booker at stud be willing to take back any puppy she bred at any age? This is an important question. There are far too many needy Cairn terriers in rescue.

Breeding, I believe, should be left to those who've paid their dues in terms of study of pedigree, ensuring that their stock is as clear of problems as possible, and that the puppies of these mating be given the best possible start.

I believe that even the stud owner is responsible for the puppies with which he populates the canine world.

I just offer these questions and thoughts for your consideration. How old is Bookers? AKC has age limits on the age of a stud at the time of breeding.

Best always,

Jill in Oregon, where rescues pop up more than we'd like. . .

I'd like to address your inquiry with great, friendly respect and I do not mean to offend. But I have very strong ideas on breeding animals of any kind. Please don't do this random breeding. Breeding should be a serious pursuit of quality puppies with intelligent selection of the right dog for the right bitch for the right reasons, for phenotype (roughly, the looks) and genotype (all the factors that make healthy puppies that have great temperment and are outstnding specimens of the cairn breed). You have NO idea what that female is bred like or what her health and temeprment are like. She might not be very nice at all.

I can't tell you how many purebred puppies of all breeds I have seen in the shelters that were not great specimens, and were not wanted by anybody. Its heartbreaking.

Of course Booker is a wonderful boy and the love of your life--but he may not really be breeding quality--if we all agree we want to perpetuate only the best. I had to wait an extra 4 weeks to get my puppies from a reputable breeder who needed the extra time to determine which of her litter were to be retained for show and then, maybe, possible breeding, and which were to be sold as companion animals, to be spayed and neutered (which I agreed to in the purchase contract). I am so grateful that our puppies are the product of many years of careful selection, and even though they are not show or breeding quality, they are very attarctive, healthy, and have great temperments.

If you think you may want to get into breeding, then you can take him to knowlegable breeders and get him evaluated. Maybe show him and see how he stacks up--perhaps you have a very nice stud dog--get objective opinions about him.

I learned very hard lessons about breeding animals from breeding Arabian horses for about 20 years. My first foals were of poor quality and I had horrendous vet bills because I simply did not know how to evaluate specimens for breeding and frankly my first mare should never have been bred ever. But I loved her to bits and I thought she was lovely. But she had serious faults that I learned to discern over several years of study of conformation--which I should have done before breeding her.

Again, with respect for you and smooches for the precious Booker--please think very carefully about breeding,

D Scott

DScott,

Booker will not be used for breeding. He is to be neutered June 29th.

I thought the lady I talked with at Lowes might want her male to be a breed dog. I called and left her a message........jan

jan

Guest rottndobie
The vet asked me if I wanted Booker to be a stud.  Nah, I didn't get him to breed.  The vet said he knew someone who had a female cairn and wanted contact with a male owner.  Remember a couple of weeks ago I talked to a cairn (male) owner at Lowes.  I got the owners phone number.

Yes or No???  Should I contact that owner of the male cairn to see if she's interested?  Or should I mind my own business?

Just wondering............jan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In one word - NO. All that would do is have more back-yard bred dogs and we certainly don't need that... :mad: If you check out the various rescue - I would say that most all, if not all, of the dogs there come from back-yard breeders.

Jan-- Good call! You will not regret it. Your life will be easier; no prostate or testicular problems, and since they're descended, the neutering will be uncomplicated. It really can do miracles on male-to-male aggression that can develop among the intact.

Enjoy your baby and give him an extra treat the day after his surgery.

He will probably be bouncing around the next day-- even though they often recommend you TRY to keep them quiet. GOOD LUCK.)

Warm wishes (it is warm) from Oregon,

Jill

Guest Guest

The owner of the male dog called me yesterday. She wants to use her dog for breeding only one time. Right now her pup is 4 mos. old.

She's planning on calling the vet to find out who has the female cairn terrier..............jan

I need to remember to login before posting so Guest won't be my name........jan

jan

Archived