CairnTalk

New Member Here...

Guest rottndobie

Guest rottndobie

Hello Everyone -

I just ran across your forum and joined. I am also on the Yahoo Groups cairn-list.

I am relatively new (past 3 years) to Cairns but have had Dobes for the past 30 years (I have a Doberman Discussion forum similar to this one). I rescued Shadow on 12/15/01 from a very abusive home - you can read his story on Dogster (see link in my signature file) as well as see pictures of him and Ashley. At the time I rescued him I was not aware he was a Cairn but knew he was a terrier..lol. Initially I was going to place him since I always thought of myself as a "big" dog person but due to Shadow's fears that was not possible. We have work thru them and he has now become the love of my life. Everyone that sees Shadow immediately says "Toto"...so glad I did not see the connection initially..

I do love the talkative and loving nature of the Cairn and will most certainly have more in the future. Looking forward to learning a lot about these "little" guys who have such big hearts...

Carol Minkus

Riverside, CA

Ashley, CGC (Dobe) & Shadow (Cairn)

http://www.dogster.com/?140520

What a wonderful story. Welcome to our group.

One problem with owning a Cairn...you'll want another one. Before you know it, you'll have a pack of them owning YOU! :lol:

Guest rottndobie

Oh, Shadow gets along with the big guys a lot better then the small ones..LOL. I go to a local dog park that is seperated - large and small dogs. Because of Ashley I usually go into the large dog one and Shadow goes too. He doesn't take any *:censored:* from those big guys. I went to a regular park a few months ago and there was a loose Boxer (my guys were on leash). I was yelling for the owner of the Boxer but no one would claim him. As the Boxer started towards us, Shadow when out to the end of his Flexi, barking and growling all the way, ready to do battle. Thankfully that wasn't necessary as the Boxer's owner finally stepped forward and grabbed his dog. I was told by a fellow Dobe owner "that it is a good thing that Cairns are not in the body of a Dobe or there would be he!! to pay"..lol. I will say that Shadow is very protective and quick to alert me to something going on. Ashley will then jump up and look but it really is Shadow who alerts first.

BTW, Thanks for the warm welcome here :)

Welcome, Carol, Shadow and Ashley!

Shadow certainly is lucky to have you as his guardian angel. It's amazing how these dogs come back from abusive situations to be funny, loving companions. I have two cairns as well as a rottweiler/golden retriever mix and my cairns don't know they're the smaller ones. I look forward to hearing more wonderful stories of your guys!

Thela

Welcome to our home Carol and Shadow! What a lucky pup he is that you were there for him. He just looks so happy! We can't wait to see more pictures.

Welcome....Cairns are big dogs in little bodies and thats why they are perfect for me. Oh and our second one Belle is a rescue too.

Welcome!!! I really enjoyed Shadow's Dogster page!!! Have fun and I'm looking forward to hearing about their adventures!!

Jan

Didn't your neighbor object when s/he noticed you taking his/her former dog out for a walk? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful thing you did but neighbor implies closeness so . . . just curious!

Guest rottndobie
Didn't your neighbor object when s/he noticed you taking his/her former dog out for a walk?  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful thing you did but neighbor implies closeness so . . . just curious!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, they didn't notice as I did a "midnight" raid..LOL. I was always very careful when I let Shadow outside to make sure the neighbor (next door) was not out. I only lived there about 3 mos after I took Shadow before I moved - also wasn't the best of neighborhoods if you get my drift... I was worried for the first week or so that they would come knocking on my door - but I was ready for them :devil: The guy had beaten and abused Shadow so much that there was no way on God's green Earth they were getting him back. I always thought that maybe he would have been destine to become pit bull bait, considering where he had been kept..

Welcome Carol and Shadow, you've got some great little dog/big dog pictures on the dogster site. I used to be terrified of Dobermans when I was younger, but my sister babysat for a family who owned two Dobermans and after seeing how gentle they were with their son (who has Downs syndrome) I realized what great dogs Dobermans are.

Archived